Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: My 1st 1911

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Did my 1st field strip of the 1911A1 this afternoon. That was interesting.....the barrel bushing was very uncooperative, but finally gave way. It hung me up again getting it out of the slide. The fit of parts is very tight, but not binding(except for that bushing). The bushing doesn't bind on the barrel, but it was not wanting to come out of the slide. I did the job with my fingers, though.

I cleaned up the factory lube, then re-lubed with remoil & re-assembled. I have to say for this pistol to be at the lower end of 1911 price-point I'm really impressed with the fit & finish. The trigger isn't as crisp as my 586, but it's lighter than expected(my guess is 4-5lb). Slide to frame fit is really tight, in fact there's a little binding at the back third of the slide's travel. The controls are low profile which I really like & feel good to my long thumb & fingers. We'll see if I feel the same way after a few hundred rounds.

Jeff

Posts liked by others
    Please post a range report, to share your new pistol experience with the rest of us.
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.

Posts liked by others
    Finally got to the range this afternoon with the AO. It came with one Checkmate mag & I had two more 7-round mags from Cabelas(I think they were Triple-K or something like that). I field stripped it, cleaned off the factory oil I could get to, sprayed it down with Remoil, re-assembled, & wiped it down before taking it to the range. I also brought along my 586 to make it an all-steel party. Here's what they both looked like after the range....

With that black oxide finish you can hardly tell the AO has been shot.

I put a couple hundred rounds through the AO at 7 & 10 yards with really good target results, but definitely some cycling problems. I had only two FTE's for the session which I would think is not bad for an "unbroken-in" 1911. However, I lost count of how many mags I had at least one round hang up half way into battery. It was always on one of the last 3 rounds in the mag. If it was No3, I could drop the mag, clear it, slide the mag back in, & the last 2 would cycle fine. I was using 230g ball ammo from LAX & Blazer.

I will attribute some of the problems to my own fault. I caught myself limp-wristing & flinching quite a few times after the hammer bite got me. Also, as mentioned above, a new 1911 with tight workings might need some break-in time. Here's a pic of my severe injury....

I would say the sights on this pistol are right on. Just like all my other semiautos I tend to shoot a little high & left when I picture just above the sights. Here's some samples(the targets on the left are from the 586)....

May have to get the paint out for that front sight :-) I had quite a time finding it a few times. I know there are night sites available for the GI 1911s, but I'm not sure yet if that's the way I'll go.

I'm not sure what the typical ejection pattern is for a 1911, but the AO tossed 2 or 3 right down the front of my shirt. Could be related to limp-wristing. My other autos usually bounce them off the right bulkhead. I'm not that familiar with the extractor & ejector on the 1911.

I really enjoyed my 1st outing with the AO 1911A1 & looking forward to the next trip. I'll field strip it & see what things look like inside tonight.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    Oops.

Memory is a fleeting thing. (Especially mine, it would seem.)
    Mine too, Hawk. I didn’t remember commenting on that thread at all.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by lonestarjeff View Post
    Finally got to the range this afternoon with the AO. It came with one Checkmate mag & I had two more 7-round mags from Cabelas(I think they were Triple-K or something like that). I field stripped it, cleaned off the factory oil I could get to, sprayed it down with Remoil, re-assembled, & wiped it down before taking it to the range. I also brought along my 586 to make it an all-steel party. Here's what they both looked like after the range....

With that black oxide finish you can hardly tell the AO has been shot.

I put a couple hundred rounds through the AO at 7 & 10 yards with really good target results, but definitely some cycling problems. I had only two FTE's for the session which I would think is not bad for an "unbroken-in" 1911. However, I lost count of how many mags I had at least one round hang up half way into battery. It was always on one of the last 3 rounds in the mag. If it was No3, I could drop the mag, clear it, slide the mag back in, & the last 2 would cycle fine. I was using 230g ball ammo from LAX & Blazer.

I will attribute some of the problems to my own fault. I caught myself limp-wristing & flinching quite a few times after the hammer bite got me. Also, as mentioned above, a new 1911 with tight workings might need some break-in time. Here's a pic of my severe injury....

I would say the sights on this pistol are right on. Just like all my other semiautos I tend to shoot a little high & left when I picture just above the sights. Here's some samples(the targets on the left are from the 586)....

May have to get the paint out for that front sight :-) I had quite a time finding it a few times. I know there are night sites available for the GI 1911s, but I'm not sure yet if that's the way I'll go.

I'm not sure what the typical ejection pattern is for a 1911, but the AO tossed 2 or 3 right down the front of my shirt. Could be related to limp-wristing. My other autos usually bounce them off the right bulkhead. I'm not that familiar with the extractor & ejector on the 1911.

I really enjoyed my 1st outing with the AO 1911A1 & looking forward to the next trip. I'll field strip it & see what things look like inside tonight.
    Congrats on your first 1911!

I did some work on a parkerized one for a friend a few years ago, and was surprised at the quality of the work I saw. The work I did were several specific internal upgrades he requested. He wanted “a beater on the outside that was a racegun on the inside.”

The pistol needed nothing as delivered to function accurately and reliably.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    Can you see any weld marks on the FRONT side of your Cabela's magazines?

If so, I would bet your malfunctions were with these magazines only. Their oddball witness holes mean they're probably $3 Chinese mags, by another name (and price). The welds will confirm it.

Beyond that, that's a beauty of a pistol. I think AO is probably making the best M1911A1 copies out there. I know to some the series-80 style firing pin safety is the spawn of Lucifer himself, but it doesn't hurt in the looks department -- or anywhere else, really.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
    Can you see any weld marks on the FRONT side of your Cabela's magazines?

If so, I would bet your malfunctions were with these magazines only. Their oddball witness holes mean they're probably $3 Chinese mags, by another name (and price). The welds will confirm it......
    Yes, definitely welded in front. I did pay attention to which mags were in use when the FTF's persisted, & I was having about the same rate of failure on all of them. Having said that, the springs in the cabela's mags are considerably weaker than the Checkmate.

I have also tried hand-cycling rounds through the pistol with all my mags & get at least one hang-up out of every 7. That's not a great scientific test, but it looks like the nose of the rounds gets hung up in the same place every time....where the frame ramp transitions to the barrel ramp. Both are well-polished on this pistol, but not sure if that's one place higher end 1911's get extra tuning.

Jeff

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by lonestarjeff View Post
    ....where the frame ramp transitions to the barrel ramp. Both are well-polished on this pistol, but not sure if that's one place higher end 1911's get extra tuning.
    Jeff
    How about some photos of the ramp area? For example, some that show the gap between the barrel and frame feed ramps along the lines of the photos in the post: https://forum.m1911.org/showthread.p...501#post859501. As a result of the Photoshop watermark on those photos, it is difficult to see much detail.

Perhaps you can tell there needs to be "some" gap. There is more wisdom about the amount of gap on https://forum.m1911.org/showthread.p...616#post970616. (That link, again, has the unfortunate Photoshop pox mark, rather, watermark.).

My money is on a mag problem and the pistol needing some more range time rather than there being a need for a jackhammer, dremel and grinding wheel.
    Last edited by Pyrenean; 1st July 2019 at 17:50. Reason: spelling

Posts liked by others

Not a great pic, but here's the ramp

Posts liked by others
    Other, and younger, eyes may differ but I see a gap that appears to be sufficient. If you would liked notice a divot on the nose of a round that didn't feed if the round was catching on an overlapping barrel. I am more confident your issue is a new pistol combined with mags. I have excellent results with brands other than Triple-K. Tripp 7 round mags, such as the 7R-45-WG on http://www.trippresearchinc.com/45acp/, are excellent.

Resist any urge or suggestion to use a dremel.

Oh, has the boo-boo healed yet? It was insensitive of me not to ask earlier.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast