Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: My Working Para, Not Pretty But Reliable.

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

My Working Para, Not Pretty But Reliable.

This one was done by Fred Frankenberg of Washington, Oklahoma back in the late 80's. It is a 9X21 that at the onset was just a run of the mill custom that weighed a ton. Reading and shooting with people all over the US, both locally and up to the Nationals, for many years we decided to lighten things up. Clark was chopping the slides and getting some off there so we did that and the back of the slide off. We put in a Delrin guide rod, made up an aluminum Nowlin style three port comp, it has a Nowlin barrel, used a plastic main spring housing and did up a custom trigger to fit my little hands wrapping around that grip. The scope mount is Fred's own design. The neat thing is we also did a flared mag well that was actually done on the frame itself that was copied from a 'smith out of South Africa. When it was all said and done the pistol came in with the dot at 39 1/4 ounces.

Mine is rough and ready and not aesthetic but when it was put in a machine rest by John Nowlin it turned in 1/2" groups at 50 yards so I guess the driver determines if *** wind that day. My wife shoots one also but hers is much prettier...LOL I've shot it for years and been on the podium a time or two with it using old antique Ernie Hill Speed Leather.

Greg

Posts liked by others
    Did this begin life as a complete Para-Ordnance pistol, or was this built up on one of those early Para "Gunsmith Kit" frames that were sold for converting single stack 1911s to double stack?

Please tell us more about the 9x21. I know that it's sort of similar to .38 Super, but not the same. How did you get to the decision to go with a somewhat obscure cartridge?

That's an interesting sight mount. The slide stop is replaced with a cap screw from the right side that screws into the bottom edge of the sight mount?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 4th June 2019 at 16:12.

Posts liked by others
    This one started out as a bare bones frame in the 80's. At that time the only double stack available was the Briley, rare as hens teeth and then Caspian got in to the act. Of course ST came along at some point. With the 38 Super Major showing up and being heavily pushed USPSA/IPSC stepped in and required a fully supported chamber. The 9X21 case is much thicker in the web that a standard Super so that was one thing we looked at. It is also more straight walled and we felt feeding would be enhanced. The Super is 0.900 and the 9X21 is around 0.833 so it can be used for the same weight bullets loaded out just a tad. Performance wise I can start loading up from where the Super quits and have no problems but I limit myself to Major plus about 5,000 PF cushion. Remeberthe 9X23 that Winchester came out that while still in existence was a ripple on the pond. The 9 MM JLE showed up trying to get around the 38 Super Major requieremn and then S&W had one that Tommy Gun Campbell dreamed up.

The EAA Witness guns were done up loading the case to standard 9 MM COL and this beat the **** out of them. Put in a full size 1911 and using a 38 Super magazine we were able to use the full potential of the case with excellent brass life. Starline was supplying brass to the public and Dillon was handling it. I was flying in to Phoenix almost every week so would pick up several thousand for all the Oklahoma guys. We were running about a dozen of these guns all using Nowlin barrels and built by Frankenberg. Many of us did not like the pocket rocket approach though using that gas pressure was nice thing. Fred and I always shoot 160 gr RNL bullets and this gun has maybe 75-80,000 rounds through it. At the time I was shooting six matches a month. Three local and three on the road. We traveled as a large group out of OKC shooting anything within reasonable distance in Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas on occasion.

Overall it is a well balanced round that I prefer over the Super but then back then I bankrolled a lot of innovative products in the shooting area. All my friends were gunsmiths and several were in high regard nationally. I have a couple Nowlin guns that I have shot and several Frankenbergs that I'll put up over time here.. My wheel guns were all done by Royce Weddle that helped me win my six national titles in IPSC.

You are correct about the slide stop. I don't need it much when I have at least 18 in the gun from the get go..LOL

Greg