Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Edge.40

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Edge.40

STI’s decision to stop production of the Edge has pushed me over the edge. I have over the years seen people dominate the USPSA Limited class shooting these STI’s. I have also had the pleasure of shooting some of these pistols.
    Because of the stopping of production I started looking for one of my own. I finally decided on getting on from Dave Dawson in .40 that is new, modified, and tuned by Dawson Precision. After a wait I finally received my pistol.
    This pistol exceeded my expectations. I tried every type and length of ammunition without one hiccup or FTF. I hope I Made the right decision, time will tell.
    Any information, thoughts, problems, advice, adjustments, modifications or suggestions on the use and care of this pistol would be greatly appreciated.

Posts liked by others
    Congratulations on your pistol!

I don't have one of these, although I almost bought one (long story) before chickening out. So I'll try to give you the advice I hear in the IPSC range all the time:

1. Don't change stuff on the gun unless you're really positive you need to.
    2. When you ignore #1, only change one thing at a time, test-fire, then change something else.
    3. Getting new mags and/or changing basepads and/or followers for existing mags DOES constitute a change. See #1 and #2.
    4. Enjoy!
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    John,
    Are you still glad that you bought this pistol. Any thoughts about it that would share at this time?
    Rob

Posts liked by others
    This STI pistol was bought from Dawson Precision. It is one of the DP super tuned STI Edges. It is the best pistol I own and have ever shot. It came from Dawson with a great crisp 2 1/2 pound trigger with a very short reset. Any lengths of ammo feeds and shoots well in it. I have been shooting 200gr bullets loaded to a length of 1.17 instead of standard length of 1.135 @ 840 FPS. (40 s&w)
    The only thing that I do not like is I can’t press down the slide release with my right thumb. I would like for it to be .1 wider and .2 longer where I could. Instead on a reload to empty chamber I release the slide with my left thumb while getting my grip back.
    Other than that the pistol is perfect. I have only shot about 1k rounds through it and it has not had I failure to feed, or any other failure.

Posts liked by others
    I've heard good things about Dawson Precision tune ups. I'm glad that they did a good job.

I have two STI 2011's that I really like. The first is an early STI 3 digit serial number frame that was sent to Wilson Combat sometime around 1994-5 IIRC. There they added a Colt 38 Super slide, Wilson barrel and small parts, etc. and it has been a great pistol. It was my wife's purchase and her pistol for several years when she shot IDPA/USPSA. I added a 9mm barrel from Nowlin for lower cost practice. Great, great pistol, not shot much now because of my wife's wrist problem/rebuild, but it's her go to pistol for anything and is in her car when she travels.

Over a year ago I bought a new STI Tactical 5.0 in 40 cal that had some problems. I had to do some tune up on mine when a trip back to STI didn't fix the problems. So, I put a Novak adjustable rear sight on it that resolved a 6" low at 15 yards problem. I tuned the extractor, put new Wolff springs in the two STI mags, and it now is great. If I still was involved in IDPA/USPSA, I definitely would use it. It has become a companion of mine like my wife's STI 38 super. IMO, it's large and heavy for CCW--I have a couple of other pistols for that purpose.