Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: flush P10/Warthog 9mm magazine

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

flush P10/Warthog 9mm magazine

While I've found a few 9mm magazines for the P10/Warthog, all of them are the "sleeved" type and stick well beyond the bottom of the frame. Did Para (or anyone) make a flush fitting 9mm magazine, or were they all extended?

The gun takes P18/9 mags just fine, but I want a flush magazine for carry.
    Likes (1) :
    CharlieNframe (3rd January 2023)

Posts liked by others
    The factory magazines had a small, polymer base that extended maybe 3/16 of an inch. They never had a flush-base magazine for the P10 or Warthog.

Like in this photo:

Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Yours is a .45, right? I'd be okay with that kind of baseplate, but I haven't found any 9mms like that.

Posts liked by others
    That's not my photo, I copied it from the Para photos thread. It belongs to one of our members. Doesn't matter -- that's what standard Para-Ordnance and ParaUSA magazines looked like. Notice the loose mag above the pistol -- it has a small "pinkie rest" extension. That's the way Warthogs shipped -- one magazine with the pinkie rest and one like the one shown in the pistol.

As far as I know, the only true, flush-base magazines Para ever made were the ones used in the first "gunsmith kits," which were sold for converting single stack Government Model 1911s to double stack. They were only available for full-size guns, they held 13 rounds instead of 14, and I've heard that they don't work in later, production P14.45 pistols. So you're probably not going to find a flush magazine for a Warthog. The factory magazines, as in the photo, were what the factory used. How many might be out there for sale just as magazines is pure speculation.
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    Looks like I'm going to have to saw off a P18 magazine, then. Thanks!

Posts liked by others
    If you do try modifying a P18 magazine, please take photos of the process and give us a write-up. I know of at least one member who would be interested in how to do it.

Another thought: Para made 10-round magazines for the P14.45, P13.45, and P12.45 pistols (and for their .40 S&W and 9mm counterparts). The 10-round magazines all used the same 10-round steel mag tube, and then had a polymer extension of the length appropriate to the pistol that snapped into the bottom end of the tube. I wonder if you got a couple of those how difficult it would be to 3-D print a shorter extension for use in the Warthog.

The magazines in this photo from a review in our e-zine show the 10-round magazines for a P14.45.

Hawkmoon
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 19th January 2020 at 00:06.

Posts liked by others
    Attachment 4987
    I don't know if this "attachment" will work. I'm trying to show you that Para-Ordnance made an eleven round .45 acp magazine for the P-12-45.
    They come with a thinner than standard production plastic base pad, which can be replaced with a Mec-Gar or early Para-Ordnace sheet metal base.
    Gun Parts Corp. has well over 100 of them for sale for $37.75 plus postage of about $7.50. You can find them also via Gunbroker.com by searching for Para Ordnance P-12 magazines and specifying 11rd. I can't seem to figure out how to post a link on this forum. I have four of them that I bought either at a gun show or from one P-12 pistol I bought on Gunbroker that came with two of them.
    If you have a P-12 pistol, you can make those magazines to be "flush" except for the sheet metal base that will stick out the bottom.
    I bought a Smith and Alexander "mag guide" for the P-12 and had it filed down on the bottom so it covered the space behind the part of the magazine that stuck out.
    I'll try to add a picture of my P-12, if I can figure out how to do it.

My P12-45 Stainless w:off white polymer grips rt.jpg
    Last edited by CharlieNframe; 18th January 2020 at 13:41.

Posts liked by others
    Here is the Gunbroker.com item number for those 11 round P-12 magazines: 852587079

Posts liked by others
    These? https://www.gunpartscorp.com/pub/products/1410160.jpg

That's the standard Para-Ordnance and ParaUSA magazine base. It's the same as the standard Warthog magazine base as shown on the magazine in the pistol in my post #2, above. It's not thinner than standard production, it WAS standard production.

So the steel bases you use slide on over the flanges on the bottom of the mag tubes? And have a hole in the center to engage the internal locking spring base?
    Hawkmoon