Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Happy Easter
To all those who celebrate it this weekend.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Would like info on new purchase

Posts liked by others

Would like info on new purchase

I have recently purchased a first year production Colt 1911, S/N N05987. It was owned by a formey US Army ordinance person. It has been re-parkerized and appears to have been modified some for competition. I am wondering if it is possible to find out any of the history of the pistol. It seems to shoot just as well as when it was manufactured, 106 years ago.

Posts liked by others
    Welcome to the forum. A number of people here are experts on old (and new) Colts. But pictures on both sides of the pistol are needed to get good information. Also, check some of the historical threads and stickies.
    Again, welcome.
    Rob

Posts liked by others
    Middle of 1912, as I am sure you know. Surely somebody has a shipping date and destination but that is just the first stop in a long journey. Do you know the name of the Army ordnance person? There is very little information remaining about issue of individual small arms. The Springfield Research Service has data on a tiny fraction of them.

Parkerizing is a major alteration, the gun originally had a very fine blue finish.
    Modification for competition is likely even a greater change in configuration.

Close clear pictures will get a good discussion going. This early, the shapes of pins and screws were distinctive.

Shooting these collectible old mild steel guns is not recommended. A cracked slide will ruin your day and destroy value.

Posts liked by others
    Colt serial No. 5987 shipped 06 Sep 1912 to Commanding Officer, Rock Island Arsenal in a shipment of 250 pistols.

I notice you listed the serial as NO 5987. Remington UMC shipped pistols with the NO prefix instead of No.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by October46 View Post
    I have recently purchased a first year production Colt 1911, S/N N05987. It was owned by a formey US Army ordinance person. It has been re-parkerized and appears to have been modified some for competition. I am wondering if it is possible to find out any of the history of the pistol. It seems to shoot just as well as when it was manufactured, 106 years ago.
    It may shoot well, but it should not be shot. The early slides were not heat treated and are prone to cracking. This didn't matter to the military, because they had armorers and stocks of replacement slides. Today, a cracked slide turns a collectible firearm into a pile of old parts.

https://ezine.m1911.org//showthread....vernment-Model
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside