Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Are cast bullets ok in an r1?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Are cast bullets ok in an r1?

I have been doing searches and can't seem to find the answer.

Posts liked by others
    Why would they not be? I've used cast bullets in every 1911 I've ever owned, going back to the 1970s with no problem. Currently I use a 200 grain lead semi-wadcutter with 5.2 grains of W231 powder, CCI 300 primers. I seat the bullets for an O.A.L. of 31.75 mm. I get reliable feeding, good accuracy and recoil is quite manageable. Unless there's something about the R1 to make it different, you should have the same success I've had with the 6 Colts I've owned over the decades, plus the Kimber, Sig-Sauer, and the Auto-Ordnance.
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.

Posts liked by others
    It's kahr that offers or at least did offer polygonal rifling in their 1911's.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by DNS View Post
    It's kahr that offers or at least did offer polygonal rifling in their 1911's.
    I have never before heard or read that. Source?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (13th November 2019)

Posts liked by others
    Did an internet search and now i think it was different model. Sorry

Posts liked by others
    DNS, why do you think your R1 is different?

Pretty much all I shoot is cast lead in 1911s. All with traditional rifling except two are ported 10mms with polygonal rifling, supposedly a no-no, but I haven't had any problems. The "trick" is hard cast and keeping the velocity under about 1,000fps. With the 45acp you have to work to get over 1,000.

BTW my 1911s with polygonal rifling are Springfield Omegas. A 1911 lower with a Peters Stahl top.

Jim
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (10th April 2019)

Posts liked by others
    The REMINGTON R1 is a very good 1911 with an excellent quality/price ratio, obviously the harder is the lead mix the less leading you get.
    Originality can't be restored, so put "originality" at the top of a priority list. If JMB didn't put it on the 1911 you don't need it.

Posts liked by others
    I've used cast bullets in the R1 that I've since passed on to a family member. The load was a 200 grain SWC "Bullseye #1" from Missouri Bullets over a light charge of Bullseye or Unique (take your pick) and CCI primers. Have used this load in about three different 1911s (one is the Remington RI) and one revolver. Shot just fine.

Posts liked by others
    It was my understanding that true hardcast bullets do not cause the problem with polygonal rifling. The issue is with the softer lead projectiles.
    They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
    ~ Dorothy Parker

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    I have never before heard or read that. Source?
    I seriously doubt that there’s a Remington 1911 on the planet with polygonal rifling.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer