Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: My Remington semi USGI clone.

Posts liked by others

My Remington semi USGI clone.

I started with a Remington R1, which in itself was somewhat a tribute to the M1911 of WW1. I tried to pay tribute to both WW1&2, Army Air Corps/Army Air Force.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sXMEf6kJxgq4JbMX6

Posts liked by others
    Several years ago I had and shot at the range a REMINGTON R1.
    I remember that was a very good 1911 with an excellent price.
    Sergio
    Anything with a FLGR is fluff, if JMB didn't put it on the 1911 you don't need it.
    "Real men carry steel guns, plastic is for squirt guns" (Col. Jeff Cooper)

Posts liked by others
    Nice pistol, and it goes well with the M1 Carbine. But I'm curious as to why to think the R1 is an any way a tribute to the M1911 of World War 1.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I guess more of an odd I read an article which indicated that the R1 was kind of a nod to the 1911's built in World War 1

Posts liked by others
    I would have to say that the author of that article was on crack. The R1 is a modernized 1911-pattern pistol that includes a number of updated features (some possibly desirable and some undesirable) even compared to the WW2 vintage M1911A1. It has the scallop cuts behind the trigger, it has different sights, a different grip safety, different cocking serrations on the slide. I see nothing about it to relate it to the WW1 M1911.

The author may have been discussing (or referring to without being clear about it) the fact that some WW1 M1911s were manufactured by Remington UMC, which was a direct predecessor of the current Remington Arms Company. So there is a distant tie-in because if the ancestry, but I think it's a stretch to say that the R1 pistol itself in any way "nods" to the WW1 M1911.
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    Agree.

Remington could probably make a few bucks with faithful copies of the Remington UMC of WWI and the Remington Rand of WWII.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Agree.

Remington could probably make a few bucks with faithful copies of the Remington UMC of WWI and the Remington Rand of WWII.
    They might ... but the latter would be cheating if they did. Although both companies had "Remington" in their name, they were completely unrelated. Remington UMC was always an arms and ammunition manufacturer. Remington Rand made typewriters and office machines until their efforts were switched to making M1911A1 pistols as part of the war effort during World War 2. History classes today gloss over or completely omit the fact that many major manufacturers converted from their peacetime products to various war products during WW2. Look up the WW2 history of the M1911A1, the M1 Carbine, the M1 Garand, and other of our arms such as tanks.
    Hawkmoon