Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Grip safety adjustment

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Grip safety adjustment

I have installed a new grip safety in my AO 45. Everything functions except that trigger can be fired when grip safety is not depressed. Any ideas?

Posts liked by others
    That can't be adjusted.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    A couple possibilities:

1) The arm on the safety is too short. Normally, on a new safety, this arm is slightly long to allow fitting to the trigger bow. A safety with too short an arm is more common on used safeties that have been removed from another gun. The end of the arm is usually peened to lengthen it slightly.

2) The safety is not fully retracting out to the safe position; it's remaining partially depressed. This can occur if the safety arm is long and the trigger bow protrudes slightly from the frame. The protruding bow can prevent the arm from dropping below the bow into the safe position. In this case, the arm simply needs to be fitted.

First, make sure the safety is retracting completely outward. Its movement should only be stopped by the lugs on top of the mainspring housing. If you drop the mainspring housing enough to release the safety, the safety should pop out a bit.

-

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the advice. I bought this gun new several years ago and have replaced everything internally. It performs flawlessly (once I got decent mags) and is accurate. When I test the grip safety function, I can feel contact and it takes some pressure on the trigger to overcome the safety. Maybe I am overthinking it. I will check what you suggested. Thanks again.

Posts liked by others
    I had that problem on my Auto Ordnance as well. My gunsmith corrected it. I don't recall the specifics of his explanation. Like you I found mine is surprisingly accurate for a low priced pistol. In fact, last year I shot my third highest score with my A.O.
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by chief2015 View Post
    I have installed a new grip safety in my AO 45. Everything functions except that trigger can be fired when grip safety is not depressed. Any ideas?
    I have the same issue. I bought AO grip safety for my RIA armory slide and frame that I assembled. I had to find a trigger in my parts box that has a wider/taller trigger bow so as not to engage the grip safety arm. If I use other triggers the trigger can be squeezed without the grip safety being depressed. What grip safety did you get and had it installed in your AO 1911?

Posts liked by others
    If you assemble the gun with only the trigger, grip safety, and mainspring housing, you can view the vertical operation of the grip safety arm. This is visible through the large clover shaped opening in the frame that the thumb safety lug normally sits in. Illuminate through the hammer slot in the frame top.

Leave out the sear spring, hammer, sear, disconnector, and thumb safety.

This only shows whether the upper stop surface on the arm is swinging up high enough to clear the trigger bow, and swinging down far enough to block the trigger.

The lower stop surface is the overtravel stop. The upper stop surface, the trigger or safety stop, is just above the major step in the arm. The lower stop surface is just below the step. The angled surface at the very top of the arm is for frame clearance.

-
    Last edited by megafiddle; 29th March 2019 at 23:16.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the advice. I bought this gun new several years ago and have replaced everything internally. It performs flawlessly (once I got decent mags) and is accurate. When I test the grip safety function, I can feel contact and it takes some pressure on the trigger to overcome the safety. Maybe I am overthinking it. I will check what you suggested. Thanks again.
    Hello,

I've successfully dealt with this by peening the grip safety's nose down slightly.

In my case, I have a number of grip safeties that I've fitted at one time or another, and I re-fit them as my tastes change ��

Regards,
    Josh

Posts liked by others
    Lots of great advice. To answer Ric4509, it is a John Masen safety. I will disassemble the pistol and check the fit between the trigger and the grip safety. I still have the original trigger and safety for comparison. Thanks for all the great ideas. I will keep everyone updated on the findings and fixes.

Posts liked by others
    Lots of great advice. To answer Ric4509, it is a John Masen safety. I will disassemble the pistol and check the fit between the trigger and the grip safety. I still have the original trigger and safety for comparison. Thanks for all the great ideas. I will keep everyone updated on the findings and fixes.
    The problem is most likely your replacement part. That brand seems to have a reputation for inferior quality.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer