Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: 1946 Hartford Sistema grips?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

1946 Hartford Sistema grips?

Which grips are correct for a 1946 Hartford Sistema, checkered wood, brown plastic or black plastic? Or none of the above.

Posts liked by others
    Black, solid back hard rubber for Argentina production. "Hartford" usually refers to Colt production.

Posts liked by others
    A 1946 Sistema was not a Hartford pistol. The Hartford pistols made for Argentina were the original 10,000 pistols made under contract to Argentina in 1927. These were Colts, not Sistemas. After those 10,000, the pistols in the "Sistema" group were produced in Argentina, so a 1946 example should not be a "Hartford Sistema." As Doran noted, for the Argentine-produced pistol, the grips should be black, fully-checkered, hard rubber.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the information. I have been collecting Colt 1911/1911A1's for about 15 years. Argentine and Sistemas are new to me. The gun I have is in new condition and appears to have been a
    presentation gun. On the left side is "COLT'S PT.F.A.MFG.CO.HARTFORD, CT. U.S.A." Under that "pat'd Apr,1897 Sept.9 1902 Dec. 19, 1905 Feb.14. 1911. Aug 19, 1913"
    There is a serial number on the top of the slide, on the barrel visible in the ejection port, under the MSH and on the right side above the trigger. The number is 32xxx which led me to believe it was a Sistema. I don't have photos at present. The gun was without grips when I got it.
    Likes (1) :
    NORMSUTTON (1st June 2019)

Posts liked by others
    A Sistema would not have the Colt rollmarks on the slide. If you poke around in this area of the forum, you'll find several discussions of Sistemas that include photos. You can compare those to your pistol to see what a Sistema slide should look like.

The serial number on your pistol is just 32,xxx? No letter 'C' in front of the numbers?

If you can post some photos, it might be helpful and I'm certain that I'm not the only person who would be interested in seeing them.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    NORMSUTTON (1st June 2019)