Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Very first build - Just about finished

Posts liked by others

Very first build - Just about finished

This project started over a year ago. Thanks to this forum, I was able to avoid some bad mistakes and able to correct some really bad mistakes.

This is my first prototype. It is hand built in my apartment. A couple local gunsmiths checked my functions for safety as well as provided milling service on the serrations.
    I was lucky enough to live within a couple hours drive of Ford Custom Finishing and they were very helpful in getting me to get my work ready for their superb finishing job.

As it is done with stones and files, the lines are far from perfect. But, it is my first and I think she is beautiful. One last note, there are a variety of finishes and cuts to demonstrate to me what I want in my final piece. I am working on a couple more that have different designs. This way I can see what I really want when I start my final 'real' pieces.

The Rose-G was initially done by a local artist Jim Angel.
    Nikki at Ford's used a laser engraver and designed the rest.
    There is something about letting an artist just do what they want to get an amazing piece. During this time Ford's has hired a couple new machinists that work with 3D lasers. This is now opening up a whole new world of Serration design, Engravings, Strappings, etc.

I will not point out the flaws, it is not a 'find the spot game'. I see and learn every time I look at it. Curently, only about 100 rounds - I'm getting 4" groups, handheld, at 25 yards. There is definitely some breaking in to be done.

Likes (4) :
    megafiddle (10th March 2019), MuyModesto (10th March 2019), Pyrenean (10th March 2019), Ric4509 (10th March 2019)

Posts liked by others
    She looks good to me, I like the variety of colors and different finishes. If this is just a prototype I cann't wait to see the master piece.

Posts liked by others
    Very nice work!

I am working on a couple myself. What you accomplished was not easy by any means.

-

Posts liked by others
    very nicely done for your first build (or any build for that matter). You stated: "I'm getting 4" groups, handheld, at 25 yards." That sounds pretty darn good to me, certainly good enough for business work.

Posts liked by others
    I appreciate the comments. What is difficult is patience, extremely difficult.

On subsequent builds, as documented here, I am going through a lot of barrels learning he fitting process (thank heavens I get to go to work everyday to pay for all this edumacation). I am going to stay away from 80% frames. You just can't get really good parallel cuts by hand. Unless you have infinite patience. I am now using Caspian Frames as the two I've got are cut pretty nicely and a lot easier to fit the Caspian slides.

Posts liked by others
    Great looking Build