Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Springfield Professional or Wilson X Tac

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Springfield Professional or Wilson X Tac

Colleagues:

I'd like to hear your opinions about a purchase I'm considering for a duty 45 acp 1911, that being a Springfield Professional or Wilson X Tac elite. I've shot a friend's EDC X 9 and really like the X pattern. I'm also aware of Wilson's customer service reputation. However, the Springfield Professional is the FBI specified pistol and went through a brutal testing process. With that in mind, I'd like to know, hopefully from owners of either Wilson or Springfield:

1. Durability and reliability of the mentioned pistols.
    2. Which company has a better turnaround time for repairs. As this would be a duty weapon, I don't want to be without it for months, if a parts breaks.
    3. Fit and finish of these pistols.
    4. The ability of these pistols to reliable handle a wide variety of duty ammo and magazines. I would be using Tripp Cobra, Wilson, and Chip McCormick magazines. Ammo would be either Federal HST 230 grain or Winchester Ranger...no + P loads.

Price is about the same and I really couldn't care less about serration on the top and rear of the slide.

Thanks again,
    Ray

Posts liked by others
    Ray,

Can't give you anything new but I had an opportunity many years ago to shoot the 1st gen Springfield Pro and the later railed version. These are great guns, nothing fancy, just the features needed, I wouldn't hesitate to carry these. At the same time the agents had a chance to shoot my Les Baer - Custom Carry, they really liked it. I think we passed 'em back and forth for an hour or so.

No direct experience with the Wilson X-Tac Elite.

I run the Wilson mags and have also used the McCormicks, no problems. I wouldn't expect any reliability issues with your ammo selection.

But as always you'll need to test the system to assure the reliability you expect.

Jim

Posts liked by others
    I own both Springfields and Wilsons, though not the specific models you’re interested in.

Between the two brands, funds allowing; Wilson, hands down.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    I have the XTac Elite and love it.

Posts liked by others
    There's no bad choices here, only the preference for which one you prefer. Both should serve you quite well.
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus