Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: 1911 Barrel marking question

Posts liked by others

1911 Barrel marking question

Hello all,

New member and first time post. Iíve done about as much ďshort termĒ research as I can in regards to 1911ís since my grandfather (who served in WWII) gave me a mix-master (Rem Rand receiver with commercial Colt slide). Iíve really gotten the bug since I bought a nice Rem Rand 1911 A1 from 1944. You can learn a lot from books and online, but there are just some things that take experience to answer....which I donít have.

Iím interested in getting a WWI 1911 and ran across a barrel that has the correct markings for the serial number (horizontal ďHĒ and ďPĒ from 1913 in this case), but the letters themselves are contained within a small circle that appears to be in the white. All the examples Iíve seen do not have this feature.

Iím attaching a photo and would like to know if this is a normal variation or something else that I should be aware of.

Thanks for for any advice!

22DF007A-9C8C-4F5E-B801-794FF4E9252D.jpg

Posts liked by others
    I've got a theory -- it's worth exactly what you're paying for it.

That barrel appears to have quite a bit of wear, either from firing or just cycling the action. You can see that the finish has been worn off from the high points of the machining marks. Now ... back in those days, the letter marks were applied using a hand stamp that was hammered into the steel. My theory is that the process by its very nature has to displace metal. Suppose the displacement results in raising a small bump around the letter?

In that case, is it possible that the wear has simply removed finish from the raised areas surrounding the letters? I would test this by using a very accurate, steel machinist's straightedge. Lay it directly on one of the letters and use a magnifying glass or a loupe to examine the contact as closely as possible while checking to see if the straightedge makes constant contact, or if it rocks slightly where it runs across the letter(s).
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the quick reply! It’s interesting that your theory was my first thought as well, as it does make mechanical sense. I will take a closer look and let you know what I find.

Posts liked by others
    That effect called halo and due to the reason Hawkmoon stated. Usually more pronounced on blue finish than parkerized.

Posts liked by others
    It’s normal