Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10mm 1911 throwing brass 50 to 60 feet.

Posts liked by others

10mm 1911 throwing brass 50 to 60 feet.

So, my RIA full size 10mm was very unreliable unless I used an official colt magazine...If i used the colt magazine it was only slightly unreliable rather than jamming every other round. I did some tuning trying to get it to be more reliable and also was hoping it would throw brass a little closer (at the time it was throwing brass about 40 feet). I always use full house loads, by the way. The best I could get it was throwing brass about 15 to 20 feet, and it was still not completely reliable with the colt magazine (and a joke with the oem mag). I ordered 2 kimber mags and also a new oem mag. The 2 kimbers performed like the colt,..while the new oem was very very unreliable like the original oem.

I finally gave up and called RIA,..They said to send it in and they would look at it. After about 10 weeks I got it back. It is now completly reliable with the colt and kimber mags (unfortunately,..still not reliable with the oem mags). BUT NOW FLINGS BRASS 50 TO 60 FEET. Holy ****. Isn't there a way to at least make it a little less so I don't need hiking boots? I am quite happy that it runs well now,. But why does it have to fling brass that far. I really don't know what to think about it. None of my other 1911s will fling brass anywhere near that far. Even 200 grain loads in a 45 with a mv of 1100 fps. stay relatively close.
    If anybody has any ideas.. I am all ears. I understand that this may be exactly how it's supposed to run,.. But I reload and it is very hard to find the brass with it flying that far. Thanks for any input you might have.

Posts liked by others
    Does it throw all brass that far, or only your reloads?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Curious to know what is meant by "full house" loads. What bullet weight and muzzle velocity? I haven't used the high powered commercial loads from Buffalo Bore (180 gr./1350 fps) but the faster "normal" loads (180 gr./1250 fps) chunk the brass probably 20 ft.

OEM mags and others have always worked just fine.

Did RIA tell you what they had done to fix the issues? I guess they are busy since it took 10 weeks. Did they tune your gun while they had it>

Posts liked by others
    175 grain, 1250 to 1300 fps. I don't use "target ammo" to practice...mostly because in all my pistols I find the POA is different, so I just try to get a load like the caliber was made for and go from there (ya, I know the original bullet weight was 200 and 220, but I'm going with the 175s.) If I could afford to shoot real factory ammo for practice I would, but you have to admit,..a large portion of it not much more powerful than a 40 S&W. I mostly sh

Posts liked by others
    Agreed, it is hard to find real 10mm commercial loads. Just finished up a batch of .45 ACP and will probably load 10mm next.

Your loads aren't crazy. I don't know why the gun is kicking out the brass that far.

Posts liked by others
    Have you tried a heavier recoil spring?

In fact, do you even know the rating of the recoil spring that's in it?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    Have you tried a heavier recoil spring?

In fact, do you even know the rating of the recoil spring that's in it?
    Recoil spring was my first thought, as well.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick
    http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/
    IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    When a gun is returned for warranty work RIA often does a tune up as well. Part of the tune up is replacing all of the springs.

Posts liked by others
    I was watching a video review of another 1911 10mm and the guy shooting was laughing his butt off at how far and high the brass was being chucked. It may not be just your gun or just your loads.
    Harrison/Baer - Dan Wesson Valor- 10mm TRP Longslide w/Trijicon RMR

Posts liked by others
    As far as recoil spring,.. I had changed the original one that was in it back when I was trying to get it more reliable AND keep brass close...that was when I think the flinging got down to 15 or 20 feet or so. When I originally got it..it was quite a flinger. Anyway,..I did put the original spring back before I sent it back to them because I had a hunch they were going to change it anyway. Soooooooooooooooooooo,..The reason I don't put my own replacement (I think I just ordered from Wolff but I can't remember) back in is because now that the gun is performing so well,...I really don't want to screw up a good thing. It's really been the only gun that I don't believe I am completely at home understanding everything about it. I do not know what spring they sent it back with. The extra one I had purchased was a little lower value than "official"...but I don't recall what it was.,. I'll have to start digging out springs and packages to find that out. I wish I was at home with it as I am with my other 1911s.
    There is one more thing....Why will it not perform well with the oem magazine? I'd sure like to figure that one out. I'm not sure understanding that is the key to anything,..but I'd still like to know. I have a mag spreader but don't want to screw it up without understanding it completely. I guess if I had 2 RIA 10mms..it would be easy to figure out if one of them had oem mags that behaved and the other did not. Ok, thanks ya'all for chiming in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast