Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIA TCM Tac Ultra MS Combo High Cap 1911 A2 Pistol Review Discussion Thread

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries

RIA TCM Tac Ultra MS Combo High Cap 1911 A2 Pistol Review Discussion Thread

You may use this thread to discuss our review of the RIA TCM Tac Ultra MS Combo High Cap 1911 A2 Pistol , in our E-zine.

https://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.p...-Pistol-Review
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org
    Likes (1) :
    Poohgyrr (26th February 2019)

Last edited by John; 17th February 2019 at 07:31.

Posts liked by others
    Well, in the interest of full disclosure; at the end of the evaluation, I contacted the folks at Armscor Precision/Rock Island Armory (USA), and decided to send them a check for the pistol, rather than returning it.

It really was that good!
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Likes (2) :
    John (18th February 2019), Poohgyrr (26th February 2019)

Posts liked by others
    There are some variants in the TCR lineup that I think would sell well in 9mm only.
    I can't find a Rock Target HC with only one barrel, for example.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    There are some variants in the TCR lineup that I think would sell well in 9mm only.
    I can't find a Rock Target HC with only one barrel, for example.
    I’m sure you’re right, Jim.

That said, I don’t know how much the extra barrel and recoil spring for 22TCM costs RIA to make, or how much it adds to the price of a combo caliber set.

When preparing for the T&E phase of the article, I looked high and low for 22TCM ammo. I couldn’t find any in the entire county (Hernando), but Andy eventually found two boxes at the Rural King in Citrus County, and picked them up for me. I think I paid $42.00 and change (plus tax) for those two boxes.

I also looked online for the ammo, and while I couldn’t find 22TCM, I did find some 22TCM-R, which I understand is made with a shorter COAL to fit in Glock magazines.

Apparently RIA/ARMSCOR makes a 22TCM kit for Glocks. So, the cost of that kit may be an indicator for the increased cost of a multi caliber 1911, compared to the same model in say 9mm only.

Rick

Likes (1) :
    Poohgyrr (26th February 2019)

Last edited by Rick McC.; 19th February 2019 at 13:00.

Posts liked by others
    I appreciate the review, thanks. A Commander length slide on a higher capacity frame sounds useful.

I would think the grip is standard length (like the Colt GM or Commander), and not the shorter Officer Model length?

I haven’t seen22TCM ammo online very often, and ARMSCOR CEO Martin has said on You Tube they will sell 22TCM via their ammo factory here in the States - but I haven’t confirmed it.

And FWIW, mentioning the conversion ability, I saw one of these online a few months ago; with four top ends: 9mm, 22TCM, 10mm, and I think 38Super or 9X23. Said the factory gunsmith fitted all the top ends to the frame, and included one magazine for each caliber. That could be an interesting pistol, if magazines aren’t a problem.
    John from 1849 Sutter's Fort. Retired to Texas.
    Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
    "Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (1st March 2019)

Last edited by Poohgyrr; 26th February 2019 at 16:01.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Poohgyrr View Post
    I appreciate the review, thanks. A Commander length slide on a higher capacity frame sounds useful.

I would think the grip is standard length (like the Colt GM or Commander), and not the shorter Officer Model length?

I haven’t seen22TCM ammo online very often, and ARMSCOR CEO Martin has said on You Tube they will sell 22TCM via their ammo factory here in the States - but I haven’t confirmed it.

And FWIW, mentioning the conversion ability, I saw one of these online a few months ago; with four top ends: 9mm, 22TCM, 10mm, and I think 38Super or 9X23. Said the factory gunsmith fitted all the top ends to the frame, and included one magazine for each caliber. That could be an interesting pistol, if magazines aren’t a problem.
    Yes, the gripframe length is full sized, but since it’s a doublestack frame; standard 1911 grips won’t fit.

As I recall, when I detail stripped the pistol after purchasing it; the only “non-standard” part I noted was the trigger, due to it’s necessarily wider trigger bow.

Now, as to the 22TCM ammo; the Armscor facility in Pahrump Nevada is where both the ammo they provided for the review, and the ammo I bought (it came from the Rural King in Crystal River) was made. Rural King also carries their 9mm and .22LR ammo.

All of their staff that I worked with were at that location, as well. As far as I know, that’s the Armscor Precision/Rock Island Armory corporate location here in the USA.

Rick

Likes (1) :
    Poohgyrr (16th March 2019)

Last edited by Rick McC.; 1st March 2019 at 19:49.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McC. View Post
    As I recall, when I detail stripped the pistol after purchasing it; the only “non-standard” part I noted was the trigger, due to it’s necessarily wider trigger bow.
    The magazine catch is also longer than the mag catch for a single stack, due to the fact that the mag catch is located in the wider, double stack portion of the grip frame.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    The magazine catch is also longer than the mag catch for a single stack, due to the fact that the mag catch is located in the wider, double stack portion of the grip frame.
    Thanks, Hawk!

I didn’t even notice that when I removed it to get the trigger out.

Rick

Posts liked by others
    I had this pistol out the other day to shoot at an IDPA practice using the 9mm barrel.

Even though you can only load the first mag with 11 rounds, and the others with 10 (IDPA rules); it still kicked butt.

Rick

Last edited by Rick McC.; 25th January 2020 at 20:06.

Posts liked by others
    It's a shame many 1911 fans look down on 9mm 1911s, more so if they're double-stacks... they're such schueeet shooters, and those guys will never know!
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (14th September 2023)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast