Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 18.9 magazines?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    I tried one of the two, new MecGar magazines that I hoped would work with my 18.9 LDA, but it didn't work - with the slide off, it looked like the magazine locked in correctly - the top round in the new magazine looked pretty much the same as the top round in a known good magazine - it could be that the difference in how far back the feedlips are cut on the new magazine - attached pictures below - the first pic is of the new magazine that did not work correctly - but at the range with the slide back on, the round in the chamber wasn't extracted all the way - it appeared to be "stuck" coming out on the next round in the magazine - picture below - looking at it again, it could well be that the extractor isn't doing it's job correctly - I'll have to look at that potential issue again.

At this point, I'm getting kinda frustrated and I'm thinking seriously of just selling the gun to someone that can make it work reliably again - my skills (and patience) with this one are about exhausted.

Works OK - https://drive.google.com/open?id=13G...6mRahWPWqyF9C1

Works OK - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ax...ihfsbr6yGlim5q

New mag - does NOT work - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JW...ipXSVvyqueGyru

Round not extracted - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ew...h_GbLI4SFarf0YIMG_4563.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Posts liked by others
    It sounds like you have an extractor problem rather than a magazine problem.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I do NOT think that the top rounds in the mags 'look about the same'!

Unless there's something different in the camera angle, it looks to me that two out of three of your 'Made in Canada' mags place the front end of the top round way higher than your MegCar mags are doing.

Proud top round on the right, not-so-proud on the left.

notsoproud.jpg proud.jpg
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Last edited by Spyros; 23rd March 2019 at 13:28.

Posts liked by others
    It's probably just my terrible eyesight, but the bullet in that top case appears to be "not seated to the correct length".

Posts liked by others

18.9 LDA project

I'm going to make some mods to the feed lips of one of the magazines I purchased so the rounds present themselves the same as the rounds in the original 18.9 magazines that came with the gun.

But I also need to remedy the loose firing pin stop, which wasn't resolved with a higher power firing pin spring. Would the following Para part at Sarco be the best bet ??

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/search.aspx?find=par12a

Posts liked by others
    If the gun has an adjustable rear sight then yes, this should be the right part. But there's a chance it will be as loose as what you have now.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    "there's a chance it will be as loose as what you have now" - should I purchase one of the oversize firing pin stops and fit it to my 18.9?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by texas yankee View Post
    "there's a chance it will be as loose as what you have now" - should I purchase one of the oversize firing pin stops and fit it to my 18.9?
    That's quite a bit of work, if you need to file off a cut for the sight. I'd start by measuring the existing FP stop, to see if that part is the problem or if the notch in the slide is too generous.

Who knows? I guess the cost (plus shipping) of the Para part isn't going to break the bank...
    M. Setter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12