Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: sUPER .38 STRANGE MODIFICATION --- WHY ?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

sUPER .38 STRANGE MODIFICATION --- WHY ?

Hey guys,
    I am new in here and have a strange 1911 that I'd like to ask about. Long story short, about 15 years ago I worked at a machine shop. The owner was a big pistol collector. We got to talking and I said I was fascinated by the 38 supers. He mentioned he had one but would never bring it in. I offered to buy it multiple times, he finally brought it to the shop. He said "I don't want to talk about, if you want it, make me an offer." He proceeded to hand me a ziploc bag full of crusrty parts. I offered 300 bucks, we settled on 350, I am terrible at negotiating but I wanted it. I replaced the ejector and got it back to a shooter. It was hacked up something fierce. I finally got him to tell the tale after I had owned it a few months. It turns out he stole it from his father when was a teenager in early 80's I imagine. He wanted to make it a race gun so removed the front sight and brazed the hole up (why?), he stippled the **** out of it and most curious... he did an interesting dust cover mod. He told me it was an original mod from Colt (uhm I doubt it in 1953 but maybe). It's too cool of a pistol not to keep and not to cherish even though it's been through the wringer. It's my "under the table on a magnet gun". Please let me know if you folks have ever seen a mod like this and what it's function is.. more bearing surface is the only thing I can think of.

Thanks for looking,
    Mitch
    Attached Images Attached Images

Posts liked by others
    It is sure not original from Colt.

It is a knockoff of the Clark Slide Guide that they used to put on accurized target pistols.
    See one at:
    http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2...mited-gun.html

He describes the installation and function of the device.

There was another shop that welded pads on the side of the dust cover for the same purpose, a tight fit when in battery, but freeing up immediately as the slide started to recoil. I don't recall the maker, it was in a Guns & Ammo Annual out of the 1970s or 1980s.
    Likes (1) :
    gORBus (8th February 2019)

Posts liked by others
    Thanks Jim ! I have not seen anything like it. My boss said it sat disassembled in a box for 17 years. I am glad I "rescued" it. Perhaps one day I will bring it to a pro and get that front sight situation addressed.