Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: About a new 1991 1911

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

About a new 1991 1911

Hello everybody-new guy here. I'm sure this has been discussed before but I can't find an earlier thread. Tell me something about a new Colt 1991 1911. Looking to buy another 1911`but the last one I had, a Springfield Armory 1911A1, had the annoying habit of tossing its empties everywhere-sometimes right between the eyes. Do the new Colts do that? I like the look of the Government models, old school and in my budget. And I could go for a series 70 or 80 if they throw their empties at least somewhere near where they're supposed to go. I'd appreciate anything you can tell me.

Thanks

Posts liked by others
    The 1991 series are Colt's entry-level pistols. They are as good as any production 1911, from any maker, and arguably better than most of the competition.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    It looks like they call it the Traditional Series now and it is only blued and in 45ACP. Several years ago they offered them in different calibers and SS models. In 2013 I bought a blued one in 38 Super. The fit and finish are great and I have had no problems with it over the years.

Since I took that picture I have put a new pair of stocks on it with the Colt med. in gold. As mentioned on the Colt website it does have the Series 80 mechanical firing pin safety. Colt introduced the Series 80 safety in 1983 and still uses it in many of their models. Other manufacturers such as SIG, Taurus, Para, and Remington also use it in their 1911 variants. As one can see the hammer and grip safety are traditional as is the thumb safety which is righty only. It does have a long Aluminum trigger and a flat composite (not metal) MSH or at least mine does.

Even though the price has gone up since I bought mine I think they still represent a good value for the money.
    NRA Life Member
    Last edited by dakota1911; 3rd February 2019 at 17:13.

Posts liked by others
    My 1991 series Gov't model has been very reliable. Looks very similar to "dakota1911s" above except mine is in .45 ACP. Seems to throw brass all in the same general direction and no FTF, FTE with various types to ammo , including FMJ and HPs. Has had no problems with magazines from McCormick, Wilson and of course Colt. Best of luck, but I don't think you'd go wrong with a 1991 Colt.

Posts liked by others
    I bought one of the very first ones. Back then they were parkerized and had all-numeric serial numbers, beginning with the next digit after 1911A1 production stopped following WWII. I carried mine for the final 14 years of my career as a peace officer. Only problem during my peace officer years was when the front sight fell off. After I retired the plunger tube fell off. When the gun was 24 years old I had a long-overdue servicing with all new springs throughout. As a disciplined shooter I keep notes of each trip to the range. Those notes show that my two highest scores, both on days with zero malfunctions, were with this tired old 1991A1. I wish you the same success as well.
    18-Aug-2017 Colt 1991A1 left side small.jpg
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.
    Likes (2) :
    Poohgyrr (26th February 2019), Rick McC. (11th February 2019)

Posts liked by others
    I believe that when a 1911 “tosses its empties everywhere” it’s often due to the extractor clocking.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer