Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: AMT Hardballer

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

AMT Hardballer

My 1911 is a earlier , pre Galena Industries , Arcadia Machine & Tool Hardballer , I don't see much talk about these . They were made from 1977 to 2002...twenty three years of production , there should be a few floating around.
    I bought mine about 1979 or 1980 because I wanted a stainless steel 1911 with adjustable sights and Colt did not make a stainless steel 1911 at that time... AMT was the first .
    Mine has been totally reliable , has shot every bullet profile including my cast lead SWC's and accurate enough to win me a 1911 only first place shooting match ...I proudly display that trophy to this day.
    When I get home I'll try and post some photo's.

Surely someone else out there has or had a AMT...lets talk about them.
    Gary

Posts liked by others
    I had an AMT Hardballer back in the early ‘90’s. I bought it as a bag of parts, put it together, and used a lot of Flitz getting all the rust off of the outside of the frame and slide. Apparently it had been left in a soft case for an extended period before the smith I bought it from detail stripped and “bagged” it. As they say; stainless isn’t stain free.

I got it, along with several mags, for $250.00. It ran flawlessly with the “right” mags (I went through about 20 to end up with eight that it’d run OK with).

It was my very first IPSC gun, and I used it to shoot the biggest buck that has ever been killed at our hunt camp.

If memory serves, I think I traded it off for a S&W 629 in the late ‘90’s.

I haven’t seen one since then, and though it may have been pretty poor compared to any of the 1911’s I have now, it was my pride and joy back then.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 2nd February 2019 at 22:20.

Posts liked by others
    A friend of mine has had one for twenty years or so. His runs reliably ... but he's a gunsmith, and he told me it took "a lot" of work to make it reliable. AMTs are like the West Hurley, NY, Auto-Ordnance pistols -- quality control and reliability were extremely inconsistent.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 4th February 2019 at 19:45.

Posts liked by others
    I still have one I bought new in 1984 for $199. I think I bought is as it looked like a Colt Gold Cup..... sort of. The grips were stinky so I put some rubber Pachmayr wrap arounds on back in 1984. A few years ago I found the originals and they had out gassed and were still flexible so I put them back on the pistol. So this guy is 100% original to how I bought it. It goes bang all the time but did not impress me. It got packed away as I moved around the country with me and survived.

Mine was made in Covina, CA by the way.
    NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    Ol' boy I learned how to reload from, had a 10mm AMT Javelina - long slide. I remember 'em back in the day - I went S&W 1006 myself in '91. Like Rick above noted, mags were the finicky part, if you otherwise got a well-built one.
    "Because shooting twice is ridiculous."

Posts liked by others
    I must have gotten lucky , I've never had any trouble with my Hardballer except for normal worn stuff . I replaced the barrel bushing with a new , snugger fitting one , new extractor and a couple new Meg-Gar stainless steel magazines.
    Recently replaced the rubber grips with some nice Gaboon Ebony grips from Kim Ahrend's Grips .
    But it has always been reliable from day one with any and all ammo .

You know it's been a while since we made a range trip....been shooting mostly revolvers lately....I think it's time to cast up some 452460's and take my old girlfriend dancing again...been too long !

I need to figure out this new camera the wife gave me...I want to post some photo's but it's smarter than I am.
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 3rd June 2019 at 18:41.