Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: firing Pin and extractor removal during field strip.

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Question firing Pin and extractor removal during field strip.

Most references, articles,videos,etc , about field stripping revolve around cleaning and lubing the basic parts of the handgun : frame,slide,barrel, guide rod/spring,recoil plug, and bushing. However, some mention removing the firing pin and ejector as a part of the normal routine. Is this something that should be performed regularly during a field strip, or just periodically?

Posts liked by others
    I am far from being an expert, but I remove my firing pin and extractor for a field strip cleaning, it only takes a minute. I believe the ejector is pinned in and should not be removed as it must be re-staked if removed.
    Hope this helps!

Posts liked by others
    I don't remove the firing pin. In 2016 I had my Colt 1991A1 given a major overhaul. That was the first time the firing pin had been out since the gun was new in 1992. I carried it on-duty as a peace officer from when it was new until I retired in 2005 and never had a problem with the firing pin in that gun, ever.

As to the extractor, I don't remove it. But I pay extra effort to cleaning it every time. If fouling builds up on the extractor to the point where the extractor will slide over the rim of the spent casing without extracting it from the chamber, the pistol is reduced from being a firearm to an impact weapon only. For me, cleaning the extractor is the most important aspect of cleaning the 1911s.
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.

Posts liked by others
    The original, articulated PXT extractor in my Para pistol, really didn't like being dirty. I found that cleaning it every time I cleaned the rest of the gun was necessary, for it to work properly. That extractor really needed attention every 200 rounds or so, before it would start giving me problems. Later I switched to Para's newer 'HD' extractor (which works just like a regular 1911 extractor except it's made to fit Para's bigger extractor tunnel) and what do you know, this one doesn't care if I clean it -- it just works.

However, in general I'm a bit lazy when it comes to cleaning my guns, so when I DO go to the trouble of stripping one down and give it some overdue attention, I reckon it makes sense to spend a wee bit extra time to clean the slide's internals. Cotton ear buds do wonders in those tunnels.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the info. In my post I incorrectly mentioned the word ''ejector" when I meant ''extractor". Anymore insights into the regular removal of the firing pin and extractor during a field strip would be welcomed.

Posts liked by others
    Nighthawk Custom recommends the Extractor be pulled for cleaning between 1000 and 2000 rounds.

I suggest hitting the extractor hook with a toothbrush with some Solvant or CLP on it every cleaning.

At 2000 rounds or alittle before it, order a new Wolff Recoil spring ( they come with a firing pin spring) for your gun.
    At that cleaning , change the recoil spring. Pull the firing pin and Extractor, clean them and their tunnels in the slide.
    Then put the new firing pin spring on your firing pin. Put one drop of oil on the firing pin and spring
    and spread with your finger and reassemble.
    Recoil spring goes on open end forward.
    Firing pin spring goes on large end forward.
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (26th January 2019)

Posts liked by others
    Agreed. The firing pin and it's channel can get very dirty. I too wouldn't recommend taking out the ejector, as it is pinned and does not move.
    "Americans look at the Constitution and Bill of Rights as protectors of our liberties; the Left/Progressives look at them as obstacles to overcome"

Posts liked by others
    Cleaning the extractor with a toothbrush is fine. I don't see the necessity of removing it from the Pistol.
    "Americans look at the Constitution and Bill of Rights as protectors of our liberties; the Left/Progressives look at them as obstacles to overcome"

Posts liked by others
    I usually remove, clean, and check my 1911 firing pin and spring, and extractor every 500 to 1000 rounds. I carry the pistol concealed every day in the cooler months. It often get's loaned to students when I conduct my 1911's Only classes, so I get plenty of rounds through it. The gun has run flawlessly for myself and every student who used it.

Posts liked by others
    I would pull out the firing pin after say, 1000 rounds and inspect it and check for free movement of the firing pin in the tunnel.

If there is any sign of sticking, then you would want to clean it more often, like every 500 rounds. If everything looks fine, clean it all up and try checking it after 1500, or 2000 rounds the next time. When you reach a round count where it looks like it really needs cleaning, or sticks, then go back to a lower round count for a cleaning schedule.

Once you have the firing pin stop off, you may as well pull the extractor too. If you never pull the extractor and wait until it really needs to come out for proper cleaning, it can be difficult to remove.

Between 3 different firing pin diameters, tolerances, and powder burning differences, it's difficult to specify a single schedule for all guns.

-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast