Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pawn shop rescue!

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Did you try it on the frame? It too could be stainless.

Either way, of course you know that no stainless gun is really stainless. Mine will occasionally show a pit, usually under the grips. It's generally sorted out by a couple of passes with a fingernail.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Last edited by Spyros; 26th January 2019 at 07:54.

Posts liked by others
    Yes, I'll do the rust bluing. I use Mark Lee's fast blue, so I can usually get it done in a Saturday. Here's a CZ that I did recently.

Now I'm off to get some Jasco to strip her down with and get the process rolling.

Posts liked by others
    Nice.

I'll have to look into that fast (Express?) blue. Did you notice any significant dimensional changes, like holes enlarging?

-

Posts liked by others
    Spyros -Do you mean like this?

I haven't tried cold blue on the frame yet but will one it's stripped. I' actually hoping it's carbon so I can blue it.

Mega - Yes, it's the Express blue. This will be the ninth time I've rust blued and never had any issues with dimensions. I've tried a couple other solutions (even the hanging it over a bathtub type) but stick with Mark Lee's now.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcabinet View Post
    Mega - Yes, it's the Express blue. This will be the ninth time I've rust blued and never had any issues with dimensions. I've tried a couple other solutions (even the hanging it over a bathtub type) but stick with Mark Lee's now.
    I'm interested in trying the rust blue process. If you could take photos along the way and post a how-to write up of the process in the "Gunsmithing & Refinishing" discussion area, I'm sure I'm not the only member who will appreciate it.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I will gladly photograph and document the process, sharing my limited knowledge along the way. It may be a while before I get to the bluing stage though.
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (29th January 2019)

Posts liked by others
    I would also be interested in seeing the fast blue process.

I did some experimenting with "slow" rust blue, and while my experimenting was very limited, I have no doubt that it can produce a highly durable and beautiful finish.

This carbon steel bar has 4 applications of slow rust blue, and has been sitting on my bench, bone dry, for over a year:

rustblue_bar_01.jpg

This is the opposite unfinished side of the same bar:

rustblue_bar_02.jpg

-
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (29th January 2019)

Last edited by megafiddle; 27th January 2019 at 23:32.

Posts liked by others
    The rust blues I've done have been incredibly durable - scratch resistant too. I honestly haven't found any advantage of the slow blue compared to the express blue. And FYI, that CZ finish was ten cycles of rust/boiling/carding. Eight to twelve cycles is pretty typical, depending on the steel. You just keep doing it until it doesn't rust anymore.

Posts liked by others
    Well, I had every intention of documenting the rust bluing process on this Para, but the bluing Gods did not smile down on me this time. The darn frame just simply would not rust! The best that the experienced rust bluers and I can figure out is that the black nitride coating that Para applied affected the surface of the steel to the point that it wouldn't accept the rusting process. I even tried a light sandblasting, to no avail.

In this photo you can see that the small parts are bluing up nicely, but the frame looks awful.

I ended up having the frame CeraKoted and installed the small blued parts. Anyway, here's the finished project. I realize that some of the things I did won't appeal to everyone, but I know my son will love it'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12