Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45acp 255gr Load Data

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

45acp 255gr Load Data

Just got a good deal on 1k Xtreme 255gr FP, Copper Plated bullets, sized .451/.452” diameter. Not much info out there on this bullet, loaded for 45acp. I worked up a nice load for both my Gen4 G21 and Norinco 1911A1. Started with 3.5grs Bullseye, Glock ate ‘em up, but that gun eats EVERYTHING 100%, it’s a Glock! The stock Norinco 1911A1 failed to feed 2x out of four Wilson 47D mags. Tried the 4.0gr Bullseye loads, EUREKA, hit the sweet spot! All loads were loaded to the cannelure on these bullets, putting them at 1.180” OAL. Low/Mild recoil, good/excellent accuracy, and 100% cycling in BOTH guns.

Posts liked by others
    Take a look at our Sticky thread... https://forum.m1911.org/showthread.p...ns-Bullet-Data ...and when you get a chance provide the info shown for this bullet.

Thanx in advance.
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]

Posts liked by others
    Why would the powder charge affect feeding?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    As a guess because 3.5 grains of Bullseye is considered by some shooters to be a standard powder puff target load for a 185 grain SWC bullet, so maybe it didn't have enough energy to reliably get the slide back far enough with the heavier bullet?

In addition, I've never measured a jacketed or plated lead bullet that was actually 0.451" or greater in diameter, sore there's probably some energy lost due to blow-by, as shown below:

http://

But both of these are pure guesswork on my part, so take them with a grain of salt.
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]
    Last edited by niemi24s; 23rd December 2018 at 11:06.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by niemi24s View Post
    As a guess because 3.5 grains of Bullseye is considered by some shooters to be a standard powder puff target load for a 185 grain SWC bullet, so maybe it didn't have enough energy to reliably get the slide back far enough with the heavier bullet?
    I considered that. But that would be a failure to cycle. The problem was described as a failure to feed.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others

In addition, I've never measured a jacketed or plated lead bullet that was actually 0.451" or greater in diameter, sore there's probably some energy lost due to blow-by, as shown below:

But both of these are pure guesswork on my part, so take them with a grain of salt.
    If you’re buying .45 bullets for your 45, and they’re not measuring .452” diameter, find another bullet source, your getting robbed!

Posts liked by others

I thought the kurzzeit video was showing a 1911 (actually an STI doublestack) in .40S&W, not .45 Auto.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    After initially looking at that video many years ago, I thought I concluded it was a 45 caliber bullet from a bull barrel (no bushing flange visible).

[edit] But after finding my original printed copies of those frames of high speed video, I see where I compared the diameter of the flame at the muzzle in the bottom right frame to the scale affixed to the slide and (after calculating a scaling factor) initially concluded back then it was a 45 caliber gun.

I may be wrong about the caliber, but there's no mistaking the blow-by.
    Last edited by niemi24s; 25th December 2018 at 10:00.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mmskng View Post
    If you’re buying .45 bullets for your 45, and they’re not measuring .452” diameter, find another bullet source, your getting robbed!
    The only type of 45 Auto bullets I've ever measured that are actually 0.4520" in diameter are a few commercial and home cast lead bullets. All the others (jacketed and plated) measure in the 0.4505 to 0.4515" range.
    Last edited by niemi24s; 25th December 2018 at 09:14.

Posts liked by others
    As Kurzzeit seems to have pulled that video from the public domain, I found another filmed by Mythbusters at 73,000 frames per second: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWxB5yvgRHk Unfortunately the video begins with the hammer down leading me to think the cameras start was sound activated. When viewed using SMPlayer software... https://www.smplayer.info/ ...the video can be stepped through frame by frame (for an image separation of about 14 microseconds or 0.000014 second). Here's a quick recap of the action by frame:

• 1: Hammer down, no sign of anything yet
    • 2: First sign of blowby at the muzzle
    • 7: First sign of blowby at the breech face
    • 29: First sign of bullet nose at the muzzle
    • 30: Bullet emerged about 1/3 way
    • 31: Bullet emerged a little bit more, as shown below

• 32: Bullet fully emerged with flame visible between muzzle and bullet base
    • 82: Bullet base is calculated to be 0.56 feet from the muzzle indicating a velocity of 816 feet per second (no idea how Mythbusters came up with the 1200 ft/sec shown in the video)

Don't know what type of ammunition was used, but somewhere in the video you can see the black block holding the cartridges and the mostly white cardboard box on the bench. The camera, a Phantom v2010 (with a top speed of a million frames per second), is rumored to cost in excess of $100,000. Rats - Santa's already been here!!
    Likes (4) :
    1911end (25th December 2018), PolyKahr (27th December 2018), Rick McC. (2nd February 2019), Spyros (26th December 2018)

Last edited by niemi24s; 25th December 2018 at 18:28.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast