Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Sight Cut on Norinco "Commander"

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Sight Cut on Norinco "Commander"

I know it isn't actually a commander as it isn't a Colt but everybody knows what I mean
    I acquired one in a trade and it is missing the rear sight.
    What I need to know is which cut the rear sight dovetail is? I have skulked around everywhere I can find consensus seems to be it's a Novak cut.
    The worst part is it had a fully adjustable sight on it before so there is a big chunk milled out of the back end of the slide (like that from factory). All I seem to be able to find are Bo-Mar.

Posts liked by others
    I've just been through this with mine. The dovetail cuts are proprietary to Norinco. Any aftermarket sight you buy, you will have to modify to fit. I had a gunsmith low mount a Bomar into mine. The gunsmith I dealt with is very familiar with Norinco's and he does fabulous work. I'm located in Ontario and if you PM me I can supply his contact info.

Posts liked by others
    So I heard back from a gunsmith and he has worked on them before and said it is an LPA sight cut so easy to find.

Posts liked by others
    I didn't realize LPA had it's own proprietary dovetail cut. I hope it's that easy for you.

Posts liked by others
    I have owned three LPA sights. They all had different dovetails, made to fit different pistols. I have never heard or read that there is an "LPA sight cut."
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    I have owned three LPA sights. They all had different dovetails, made to fit different pistols. I have never heard or read that there is an "LPA sight cut."
    Well then I know which gunsmith NOT to use in the future
    I can foresee having sent him the gun and all of a sudden "Oh hey I have to mill this and that it's going to be X more dollars"
    Actually just got an email from a dealer that has a factory Norinco sight for it.
    Last edited by greywolf67nt; 18th December 2018 at 21:19.

Posts liked by others
    References I've seen for 'LPA cut' sights usually refer to the one that looks like a Bomar, only with the dovetail in a different place (a bit to the rear). Check out Dawson Precision.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    The LPA sight that was modified to fit the dove tail on my pistol is a LPA TPU series sight with a black blade. I have no idea what pistol it was originally for, the base has been filed on to fit the Norinco cut. If the O.P. is looking for a TPU sight, send me a PM.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod1984s10 View Post
    The LPA sight that was modified to fit the dove tail on my pistol is a LPA TPU series sight with a black blade. I have no idea what pistol it was originally for, the base has been filed on to fit the Norinco cut. If the O.P. is looking for a TPU sight, send me a PM.
    I know they don't have the best reputation but Marstar has the actual Norinco sight so no reworking required and only $30 Canadian.
    Just flipping it anyway so replacing sight and cleaning it up a bit and IT'S OUTTA HERE