Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .38 Super?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Rob,

Thanks for the info. I believe that with a 9mm, you are not under gunned. The bullet diameter of the .38 Super is only .001 in larger, and with modern powders, the velocities of the 9mm approach the .38 Super. Still, there is something about the .38 Super that fills a void...

Wade
    Likes (1) :
    GaCop (6th December 2019)

Posts liked by others
    Hi Wade,
    You bet, some of the Buffalo Bore loads in 9mm easily get into .38 Super range. I traded my Colt off on an RIA .22 TCM/ 9mm as I'm interested in the .22 TCM for my wife. It will not be hard at all to fit a .38 Super bbl. on the new piece. I had fitted a 9mm barrel to the .38 Super and it ran fine. It's a neat cartridge with lots of potential case room.
    Best,
    Rob
    Likes (1) :
    PolyKahr (9th July 2019)

Posts liked by others
    I just bought the RIA 38 Super. I have only taken it out once. We shot 150 rounds through it. No FTF or FTE. It shoots where you aim it. But I am still putting adjustable rear sights on it. They are easier on my old eyes. This is my first RIA. Won't be my last.
    Likes (1) :
    PolyKahr (9th July 2019)

Posts liked by others
    Gunn, welcome to the forum and enjoy your new RIA. I find I carry the .38 Super more than the .45. It shoots flatter and has less recoil than the .45.
    Likes (1) :
    Gunn (20th July 2019)

Posts liked by others
    The closest I can get to with the Rock is a nickel plated Citadel, IIRC, it was manufactured by Armscor. Don't shoot it as much as the other .38 Supers, but the nickel plating has held up very well for over a decade and FMJs function reliably.
    NRA Life Member since '67

"Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake."
    Napoleon

Posts liked by others
    I just converted a RIA 9mm to 38 Super and love it.
    Vietnam Vet June 66 - Dec 67
    Likes (2) :
    Rick McC. (3rd March 2020), Socks (17th April 2020)

Posts liked by others
    I bought a RIA/Armscor 38 Super new about 5 years ago. Never a problem with it.
    Recommended purchase.
    Enjoy.
    rayb
    Likes (1) :
    GaCop (6th December 2019)

Posts liked by others
    I have a RIA/Armscor 38 Super. I bought the basic model in order to make it a project pistol. After taking it to the range only to find out how accurate it was, It remained a stock pistol. The only thing I changed was the grips. It is hard to believe, but it is very accurate.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    I have a RIA/Armscor 38 Super. I bought the basic model in order to make it a project pistol. After taking it to the range only to find out how accurate it was, It remained a stock pistol. The only thing I changed was the grips. It is hard to believe, but it is very accurate.
    I've had the same experience with my RIA GI Model 38super. I also bought it as a project pistol, especially since Colts were rare at the time and 3x the cost. I have tweaked a few things but haven't tackled the big items yet, like fitting a beavertail grip safety, novak sight cuts, checkering the front strap, etc. I have fit an oversized barrel bushing, barrel link change to improve lock up, beveled the bottom slide edges and added a flat trigger. The gun shoots very accurately. I have had some extractor issues with my mixed range pickup brass; may change/modify the extractor to get a bit deeper bite.

Posts liked by others
    What all did you have to do to change over to 38 S ? What slide did you have/ Any other thiings to change?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast