Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .38 Super?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

.38 Super?

I'm planning on a purchase in the coming year and one of the options is an RIA GI in .38 Super.

This will be my first .38 Super. I'll be getting the nickel version.

Does anyone have any comments regarding the RIA .38 Supers?

PS - Does anyone know where to get a nickel arched mainspring housing for a reasonable price?

Thanks.

Posts liked by others
    Not recommending or discouraging, but ebay has an arched nickel housing currently listed:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/COLT-MODEL-...52w1:rk:1:pf:0

Price is probably reasonable for a Colt part.

-

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by megafiddle View Post
    Not recommending or discouraging, but ebay has an arched nickel housing currently listed:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/COLT-MODEL-...52w1:rk:1:pf:0

Price is probably reasonable for a Colt part.

-
    Thanks for the advice.

Posts liked by others
    I have an Iver Johnson .38 Super. Worked flawlessly from the start, but that isn't what this post is about. .38 Super ammo can be somewhat scarce. If you reload, that will help you a great deal.

Wade

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by PolyKahr View Post
    I have an Iver Johnson .38 Super. Worked flawlessly from the start, but that isn't what this post is about. .38 Super ammo can be somewhat scarce. If you reload, that will help you a great deal.

Wade
    I reload for every centerfire handgun I own, so that's not a problem.

I've been looking at the Iver Johnson as well because of the better sights.

Posts liked by others
    I had a .38 super Colt Combat Commander in the late 1970s. I found reloading it a bit frustrating. Of course that was before the internet, so I didn't have easy access to more experienced people and their knowledge. The cases would bulge just forward of the head the first time they were fired. This happened no matter what load I was using, whether light or full power. I became concerned about a case failing on me, which caused me to become discouraged about the caliber. I bought parts and converted the pistol to .45 ACP: end of problem.
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.

Posts liked by others
    Interesting. I have not noticed any excessive bulging. I have used several powders, but find that CFEPistol seems to be most economical. I use Starline cases, which are fairly rugged. But I also reload American Eagle, Fiocci and a couple other brands.

Wade
    Likes (2) :
    GaCop (6th December 2019), MuyModesto (25th September 2019)

Posts liked by others
    The older Colts in .38 Super may have head spaced on the cartridge rim then rather than the case mouth as they do now. It's not a problem with current production.
    Best,
    Rob
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (25th September 2019)

Posts liked by others
    Rob,

I had read about that, but having a modern .38 Super I didn't have to deal with it. Any idea when Colt chaged over from rim to case mouth?

Wade
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (25th September 2019)

Posts liked by others
    Hi Wade,
    I just did some looking and "the 70's" is as close as I got. I just traded a Series 80 off which I probably should have kept but improved 9mm loading makes up the difference in performance.
    Best,
    Rob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast