Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Rescued a Pile O' Parts... out came an All-Correct 1942 USGI Colt 1911!

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Rescued a Pile O' Parts... out came an All-Correct 1942 USGI Colt 1911!

A fellow had a pile of 1911 parts wrapped up in a dirty tee shirt. He knew was a USGI 1911. He didn't know how to put it together. He wanted to sell it. So, I bought it, figuring that any Colt is worth $550. I figured it had been refinished, had a replacement barrel, had the wrong grips and needed a grip screw and bushing.

It was all there. I detail stripped it and found several decades worth of sticky gunk inside. I've learned to take that as a good sign... it means the gun sat for decades, and that means it has received neither use nor abuse.

Sure enough, it runs like a champ! Tight fitting slide, and if feeds, fires and ejects both round ball and hollow point ammo, with no failures.

Some friends who know a little about it convinced me that the finish is original. One bit of evidence is that the fade line at the front of the slide would be gone if it had been refinished.

So, I started reading up on how to tell if the parts are correct. I was really pleased to know that the serial number under the firing pin stop matches the frame, and that the barrel is a Type 6 with all the right markings, correct for this gun.

Bottom line is I decided that as far as I can tell it has All Parts Correct and needs only a grip screw, grip screw bushing and Type 7 Coltwood grips. I've ordered all three.

So I went to GunBroker and found a Penny Auction for a 1943 USGI 1911 in similar condition, closing within the hour with 20 bids for $1775! I could hardly believe it.

Now I don't know if I should keep it, or sell it! I like it a lot, and want to keep it, but Good Grief! how often do you get to triple your money right away?

I was hoping that some of you that know more'n I do, can tell me what you think about this little gem.
    - MacEntyre
    Per Ardua, Infensus, Sine Politico
    Haec manus inimica tyrannis
    Likes (2) :
    MuyModesto (12th December 2018), SergeantMajor (13th December 2018)

Last edited by MacEntyre; 11th December 2018 at 19:39.

Posts liked by others
    Well, that auction went longer than I thought it would... went 30 bids, Sold for $2226.00. Incredible!
    - MacEntyre

Posts liked by others
    Nice looking pistol. If you wish to own a vintage pistol I don't think you will find one cheaper.

Posts liked by others
    I like the stocks, it would be nice to find a pair of correct stocks for the serial number.

Posts liked by others
    I've ordered correct Type 7 stocks.
    - MacEntyre
    Likes (1) :
    SergeantMajor (13th December 2018)