Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: How do I remove the grips?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

How do I remove the grips?

7-Lt side action open small.jpeg Today was pick-up day at the gun shop for my brand new Sig Sauer 1911 XO-B in .45 ACP. Hopefully a range day will fit into my calendar next week, because I can't wait to try it out.

For almost 40 years I've had Pachmayr grips on all my 1911s. I can't figure out how to remove the grips that came from the factory so I can put some on this magnificent new pistol. Can anybody please tell me how to proceed?

Posts liked by others
    Don't you just remove the screws? I can't see from that small photo -- are they hex-head or Torx-head screws?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (1st December 2018)

Posts liked by others
    19-Grip screw straight down small.jpeg20-Grip screw at an angle small.jpeg Here are a couple of photos. They don't look like Allen Screws. Maybe they are torx.

Posts liked by others
    Torx.

If you don't have Torx bits, you can buy a set at Walmart or Harbor Freight Tools.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    These are Brownells' Torx grip screws for comparison:

Torx_grip_screws.jpg

Wrench size on those is T15.

A set of torx drivers or L wrenches or bits (if you already have a 1/4" drive handle) is worth having. The screws are showing up everywhere.

T10 thru T30 is a good range of sizes for a set.

-
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (1st December 2018)

Posts liked by others
    21-Lt Side Pachmayr small.jpeg Much thanks to Megafiddle and to HawkMoon for your help. I went to Home Depot and bought a set of Torx drivers. For the Sig Sauer grips it was the T10 size of Torx driver that did the job. I found the factory put the screws in to be snug, and then just a tiny bit tighter than snug, so I tried to duplicate that when putting the Pachmayr Signature grips on.

I did some dry firing and am super enthused to get to the range sometime next week.

Posts liked by others
    I've now taken this pistol to the range 3 times and have dry-fired it at home in daily practice for weeks. My conclusion: I totally got my money's worth on this purchase. This pistol is excellent as-is.
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.

Posts liked by others
    Muy....I like to place #60 O rings on the grip screws. Keeps them snug without torquing them. The O ring flattens out and acts similar to a compression washer.
    NRA Life Member
    USN 75-84
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (31st January 2019)

Posts liked by others
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (1st March 2019)