Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Build gone wrong - Fusion

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by kookaburra View Post
    ...but the slide is short of what it should be, my barrel sticks out.
    Can you measure your slide, from breechface to front end?

My Caspian slide measures just a bit under 4-1/8".

-
    Last edited by megafiddle; 20th November 2018 at 19:02.

Posts liked by others
    We could also use a picture of the barrel outside of the slide and one of the barrel in the slide showing how forward the muzzle is from the front of slide.

Posts liked by others
    Hey Guys, sorry for the late reply had issues uploading.
    I ended up dropping it off at my gunsmith to take a look, they were a bit stumped as well; first impression is it looks the carbon steel is super weak.
    I didnt notice but the catch has also been peening. These are from the original damage. When I get it back ill measure it and post the other pictures.

Fusion's explanation was that the barrel lug was contacting the end cap, and when it wasnt after the barrel was re - machined. So they cut the End cap a bit as well as the spring maybe it was binding.

[IMG]www.flickr.com/photos/93658792@N08/31049747597/[/IMG]

[IMG]www.flickr.com/photos/93658792@N08/31049747917/[/IMG]

[IMG]www.flickr.com/photos/93658792@N08/31049748037/[/IMG]

[IMG]www.flickr.com/photos/93658792@N08/31049748117/[/IMG]

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrenean View Post
    We could also use a picture of the barrel outside of the slide and one of the barrel in the slide showing how forward the muzzle is from the front of slide.
    Ill have too get pictures of that too, but now that you mention it, it looks canted from how it came originally,.

Honestly, this experience has been terrible. Should have bought a KnightHawk at this point. I think ive spent more then that.

Posts liked by others
    The damage on

appears to be from the bushing impacting the front of the slide.

I would want another opinion but the barrel

looks more like a government sized barrel than a commander. For example the barrel on the left in the following photo is a commander
    where the barrel on the right is a 5 inch barrel:

This is from post #9 on https://forum.m1911.org/showthread.p...-how-to-fix-it

Notice how the 4.5 inch barrel's profile is different than yours. Given your mentioning the barrel sticks out away from your bushing, my guess is you have a government barrel (perhaps with the muzzel cut down) rather than a commander barrel. That would account for the slide damage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Posts liked by others
    Based on the bushings from one of the suppliers (Nighthawk Custom), the commander bushing is only .314" shorter than the government.

That is not enough to provide the necessary clearance for the shorter commander slide. The barrel extension just in front of the forward upper lug also needs to be removed.

It could be that the crash was initially occuring elsewhere in the recoil spring parts, but after correcting that, the crash will move to between the barrel and bushing if the barrel extension is not removed.

-
    Last edited by megafiddle; 21st November 2018 at 18:32.

Posts liked by others
    A closer, side-on view of the top barrel lugs might be useful. Also, a view of the rear of the barrel bushing.

This is a new gun, right? What is Fusion saying about it?
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Likes (1) :
    Frgood (22nd November 2018)

Posts liked by others
    Hopefully, Ill get my 1911 back from my local smith this week and get some picture; of the work Fusion did after their repair. Honestly I think half of the problem right here is that they think its a Government, on my original invoice it says Commander, when I got it back the weeks ago after the warranty repair, they called it a Government, so who knows what it i really is.

Pyrenean - I agree after seeing the Profile, I did notice that the other day the Profile of the barrel is off, I took a pair of calipers to the barrel. Originally, I thought the barrel was bull-ed but it does get large by about .040th Close to the end, I dont remember if it was originally like that. Just that it certainly was canted the way it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
    A closer, side-on view of the top barrel lugs might be useful. Also, a view of the rear of the barrel bushing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros View Post

This is a new gun, right? What is Fusion saying about it?
    It was a "PRO KIT" But still shouldnt have this many issues after "the Professionals" and my local smith have both taken a look at it.

Fusion said they fixed the problem. "Cut the end cap by a bit, Re-machined the barrel lug, Put a new bushing in, resurfaced and smoothed out damage."
    I believe I spoke to Bob a few weeks ago, he also recommended a new slide stop so I said what the just do it, and said yeah just go over it and make sure its all set. Paid $351 for a reliability job, install fee, Test fire for a new slide stop and safety ( I asked them to switch that). Thing definitely does not function reliable, and I had to file down the Safety, which was just thrown on there.
    Last edited by kookaburra; 23rd November 2018 at 18:19.

Posts liked by others
    Such a disappointing experience.
    From your photos, the slide looks like a Commander. Your original bushing lug photo seems to be a Commander style bushing and has obvious damage that matches the damage on the slide.
    Some "cant" might be normal as a 1911 barrel at lock-up tilts downward to the muzzle. Cant to the left or right, of course, would not be a good thing.

Your problem with the slide not locking back could be a geometry problem with the slide stop and mag followers. Of course, other factors can cause the same symptom. Oddly enough, I have a high "tack" lubricant that seems to cause one pistol to fail to lock back on empty. The same pistol and mags runs just fine when using a less viscous lube. My worthless theory is this one lube slows the slide just enough to prevent the slide from fully cycling. Is there a number stamped on the inside of the new slide stop? I have another pistol that I solved a lockback problem by using a 38 super/9mm slide stop. (My, my, my... I just checked Brownell's prices for slide stops. Prices have really gone through the roof.)

Posts liked by others
    I don't feel that we yet have enough information to help diagnose what's going on. Allow me to offer a few observations that may (or may not) pertain:

First, the frame (receiver). In Colt Commander length (and shorter) pistols, the front end of the rails and the frame abutment surface (the ledge that the recoil spring guide flange seats against) are set back approximately .1 inch compared to a full-size, Government model.If your frame isn't configured this way, that alone can generate problems.

Commander on left, Government on right

Second, there are 4-1/4" slides, and there are 4" slides. And, to further confuse things, there are 4-1/4" slides that aren't configured the same as a Colt Commander, but are nothing more than a Government slide with 3/4 of an inch lopped off the muzzle end. Without some detailed photos next to a ruler or tape measure for reference, we don't know what you really have.

It's not unusual for barrels to have a very slight reduction in diameter starting about 3/16 of an inch (or so) back from the muzzle. This was pretty much standard with Para-Ordnance, for example. It's done to help unlocking and tilting of the barrel. This very slight reduction is not what would be considered a "bull" or "tapered" barrel.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    L-2 (23rd November 2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast