Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Rock Island Armory Centennial Edition

Posts liked by others

Rock Island Armory Centennial Edition

I recently acquired this gold-plated Rock Island Armory 1911A1-FS and have had little luck tracking down exactly what it is.
    Armscor customer service was very responsive and has S/N RIA1279196 listed as a model 51433 (Nickel-plate Standard GI) mfg in February 2011.
    There was an old thread here from Nov 2010 showing four different proposed Centennial Edition configurations.
    Mine is closest to the third, gold-plate frame and slide with all other parts a high-polish black.
    All four of the proposed pistols had slightly different engraving on the slide, and location of the "Centennial Edition", but the style and font are consistent with what I have.
    Anyway, here's mine - note the lanyard loop, smooth mainspring housing, beveled mag well and the hand-stamped "H02B" in the mag well.
    The S/N and "M1911A1 FS" are done through the plating, suggesting this isn't just a gunsmith special.
    Any help in identification, production numbers etc would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Posts liked by others
    This looks more like a Titanium Oxide finish. It should be reasonably hard-wearing.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    The first pics were indoors with a flash and I think it washed out the color and "shine" somewhat.
    Comparing to a couple other pistols I know 100% are gold-plated, it looks the same to me.
    I'm not a great photographer to start with, and I find taking pics of highly reflective surfaces like this one (and high-polish Colts!) particularly challenging.
    These are with natural sun-light and black background....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes (1) :
    Gruntshooter (17th November 2018)

Posts liked by others
    I knew I'd seen this gun before. I have a picture of it as it was displayed on RIA's booth in the 2011 SHOT show, unfortunately I didn't take a picture of the description below it... sorry, there were so many 'centennial' guns on display that year that it was real easy to lose interest in them after a while. But I do remember thinking that it didn't quite look like gold-plated to me. There were other gold plated guns on the show floor (including a Thompson and IIRC either a Gatling or a Puckle gun) but this one looked a bit less bright than the others, for lack of a better term.

Come to think of it, there was a TiO Desert Eagle there too, and its finish sure didn't look like the RIA's, either.

Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Last edited by Spyros; 18th November 2018 at 09:13.