Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt LW Commander and the Dimpled Follower

Posts liked by others

Colt LW Commander and the Dimpled Follower

A used LW Commander became a source of frustration. Horrible accuracy and forever failing to eject and locking back before the last round is fired. I sent it to Colt and got little improvement. A local gunsmith improved the accuracy but still not reliable. After a year on the wait list I sent it to Cylinder and Slide. Still not reliable. I let it sit in the safe for a few years. It made me sick to look at it. I finally tried to get more rounds down range and noticed a pattern of failures with certain magazines. Bottom line is the pistol works flawlessly shooting 7 round mags with dimple followers. The joy I felt after firing 10 mags without a hitch!! All my 1911 mags work with my Colt Gold Cup and New Agent. Evidently, the Commander is very picky.

Posts liked by others
    Who is the manufacturer of the magazines that worked in the Commander?

Posts liked by others
    Two of the mags are Wilson Combat and the rest are Colt. I'm not sure who makes Colt mags. All of the mags have a welded bottom plate.

Posts liked by others
    There is usually a letter stamped on Colt mags to show the manufacturer. The only ones I have are stamped "M", made by Metalform. Unlike your situation, mine work flawlessly as 7 rounders, and when converted to 8 rounds they also work 100%. The only difference is my Commander is steel frame, 2016 production. In the conversion I used CheckMate followers on some, Wilson Combat followers on some, and Chip McCormick followers on some.
    Likes (1) :
    CMI_Brandon (7th November 2018)

Posts liked by others
    The Colt mags have a C and an S stamped on the bottom plate.

Posts liked by others
    The C indicates Check-Mate as the manufacturer, and I believe the S means Stainless.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Hawkmoon, on your recommendation i ordered some Checkmate magazines. i tried two brand new ones at the range today. Function was flawless. From the looks of the followers I would expect their service life to be a very long one! Thanks for the suggestion.
    Likes (1) :
    CMI_Brandon (8th November 2018)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by MuyModesto View Post
    Hawkmoon, on your recommendation i ordered some Checkmate magazines. i tried two brand new ones at the range today. Function was flawless. From the looks of the followers I would expect their service life to be a very long one! Thanks for the suggestion.
    Did you order from Checkmate or another vendor ? The reason I ask, is when I was looking to order from Checkmate, the shipping cost seemed excessive. Have looked at other vendors that have lower shipping, but pickings are slim on the Checkmate mags.

Posts liked by others
    I placed one order through Checkmate and another order through "Thunder Mountain". Brandon from Checkmate is on this web group. I suggest you reach out to him. He was very helpful in explaining the difference between their various models. His profile on this group is CMI_Brandon.
    Likes (1) :
    CMI_Brandon (15th November 2018)

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the info. I PM'd Brandon a couple weeks back, so far no reply. Will check Thunder Mountain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast