Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Supergrade KA-BOOM!!

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    danriverboy, I know they have received the pistol at Wilson, and have told my friend the cost for repair will be $1,500.00. He has ok'd the repair and is waiting to get the pistol back. Seems that Wilson believes it was a squib load, and has said that Federal will investigate based upon the box my friend returned to them. Wilson mentioned this has happened before and Federal has been responsive. We shall see, but this still doesn't explain the fact that my friend INSISTS he did not have to clear a jam just before the fatal shot!!! Thank you for bringing this up. I will seek an update from him and post what I find.

Posts liked by others
    A few years ago I had a KABOOM for a different reason. I was shooting a Colt Delta Elite and had massive recoil felt in my wrists, elbow, and shoulders, but mostly on my right side. I also felt metal fragments hit my face, some of which had to be picked out of the skin. Fortunately, my glasses protected my eyes; but I now usually wear glasses and safety goggles when shooting. You only get one set of eyes. Some of the shockwave blew out through the mag well. The DE was locked up tight. I took it to my local, friendly 1911 smith and it appears that I had a double charged round--top quality factory ammo like your friend. I talked with one of the factory QA guys who gave me all the reasons that it couldn't be their ammo, they NEVER had problems with their ammo, that Colt DE's have an unramped, not fully supported barrel and that was the problem, etc. etc. Long story short, my 1911 smith put in a Barstow ramped barrel, installed Heine sights, sent it to ionbond, etc. It's next to perfection now. Hopefully, your friend's story will have a similar happy ending.
    Last edited by danriverboy; 17th November 2018 at 16:19.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by danriverboy View Post
    A few years ago I had a KABOOM for a different reason. I was shooting a Colt Delta Elite and had massive recoil felt in my wrists, elbow, and shoulders, but mostly on my right side. I also felt metal fragments hit my face, some of which had to be picked out of the skin. Fortunately, my glasses protected my eyes; but I now usually wear glasses and safety goggles when shooting. You only get one set of eyes. Some of the shockwave blew out through the mag well. The DE was locked up tight. I took it to my local, friendly 1911 smith and it appears that I had a double charged round--top quality factory ammo like your friend. I talked with one of the factory QA guys who gave me all the reasons that it couldn't be their ammo, they NEVER had problems with their ammo, that Colt DE's have an unramped, not fully supported barrel and that was the problem, etc. etc. Long story short, my 1911 smith put in a Barstow ramped barrel, installed Heine sights, sent it to ionbond, etc. It's next to perfection now. Hopefully, your friend's story will have a similar happy ending.
    I had the exact same thing happen with a Delta Elite around '90! Only difference was I didn't have glasses on, but very fortunately none of the brass was in my eyes (had some above and below)!! Never found out the issue...
    My mag floorplate blew off and dumped the ammo. Mine didn't lock up and half of the case was still in the chamber.

Posts liked by others
    Scary stuff. Hope all works out well.
    Harrison/Baer - Dan Wesson Valor- 10mm TRP Longslide w/Trijicon RMR

Posts liked by others
    This thread has been dormant for several months but I finally have some news on the destroyed Wilson Supergrade. My friend received his pistol back from Wilson. It was repaired superbly, and at a very reasonable cost. The ammunition manufacturer, Federal, hemmed and hawed for several months and finally decided they will compensate my friend for 100% of the cost of his repairs. I believe the support provided by Wilson Combat had a lot to do with their decision to take responsibility!!!! I give kudos to both companies for providing excellent customer service, and wanted you all to know the final outcome.
    Likes (2) :
    MuyModesto (2nd June 2019), Rick McC. (10th October 2019)

Posts liked by others
    Great news!
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123