Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Supergrade KA-BOOM!!

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Supergrade KA-BOOM!!

I have a friend who owns several Wilson pistols. He recently had to send his supergrade back to Wilson for a feeding problem. Service was excellent and he got the gun back in short order. Went to the range (indoor) to wring it out. He fired an entire box of Magnum brand factory new 230gr. ball ammo. He then switched to whatever brand of defense ammo Wilson is currently recommending and on the third or fourth round, out of the first magazine, the barrel and slide split and the slide locked in place.

Only two things I can think of that would cause this type of catastrophic failure; 1.Plugged barrel from a squib round. 2.Factory ammo with 2 or 3 charges of powder.

Wondering if anyone may have additional theories?? Any similar experiences with Wilson pistols??

The barrel split in to three sections, longitudinally (not able to get the slide off so do not know how far down the barrel the split continues, but it is certainly split at the crown), and the slide split just to the left of the front sight, as you are facing the muzzle.

Any enlightenment/comments will be most welcome.

Gary

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by dasroofr View Post
    I have a friend who owns several Wilson pistols. He recently had to send his supergrade back to Wilson for a feeding problem. Service was excellent and he got the gun back in short order. Went to the range (indoor) to wring it out. He fired an entire box of Magnum brand factory new 230gr. ball ammo. He then switched to whatever brand of defense ammo Wilson is currently recommending and on the third or fourth round, out of the first magazine, the barrel and slide split and the slide locked in place.

Only two things I can think of that would cause this type of catastrophic failure; 1.Plugged barrel from a squib round. 2.Factory ammo with 2 or 3 charges of powder.

Wondering if anyone may have additional theories?? Any similar experiences with Wilson pistols??

The barrel split in to three sections, longitudinally (not able to get the slide off so do not know how far down the barrel the split continues, but it is certainly split at the crown), and the slide split just to the left of the front sight, as you are facing the muzzle.

Any enlightenment/comments will be most welcome.

Gary
    Yikes!
    Almost always a split barrel means squib. Double charge usually blows the case head down and out through the magwell area. Make sure he contacts info@wilsoncombat,com so we can take a look.

Never heard of "Magnum" brand ammo. Is that a reload?

Posts liked by others
    I agree with WilsonCombatRep. Longitudinal splits running down the barrel are virtually always the result of a squib that stuck a projectile in the barrel.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Nice to know that the gun stayed in one piece and no one was injured, though I probably would be a little upset if it were my gun.

Posts liked by others
    I agree with WilsonCombatRep. Double charges go down the mag well. Makes a mess. Been there, done that, didn't like it at all.
    Jim

Posts liked by others
    Since it was not mentioned, I’m assuming no injuries which is good. I would hate to blow up any gun let alone a Supergrade. I’m sure Wilson will diagnose the problem but as it certainly sounds like a squib the cost of a new slide and barrel will most likely be on the owner.

I have used Wilson Customer Service on a couple of my Wilson’s and they are the best in the business.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member, GOA Member, MGO Member

Posts liked by others
    Seems to me that a squib would probably cause a malfunction, causing the shooter to be aware that something was wrong and to check for the squib.

Posts liked by others
    Possibly, the squib load was mistaken for a dead round or misfire.

The gun was then cycled manually without noticing that the ejected case was empty and ... KA-BOOM.

-

Posts liked by others
    Good morning, Rep. Thank you for your prompt response. You are correct, it was Magtech ammunition. Sorry for the incorrect post. (spellcheck?) Ammunition was factory new.

Posts liked by others
    Megafiddle, I imagined the same scenario. When I questioned him, he insisted the slide did not have to be manually cycled. I am thinking he was concentrating on his shot placement and didn't notice the light recoil of a squib round and, somehow, there was enough "oomph" to cycle the slide?? Anyways, the pistol is on its' way back to Wilson for evaluation. I will share any information when we know more. Note:The Magtech ammunition was not being fired when this gun blew up. The entire box had been shot through the pistol. He was shooting a brand of defense ammunition recommended by Wilson. Not sure what brand that was.

Thanks to all!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast