Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carry guns

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Love my little Colt Defender, plus all my 1911's. Then there is my Hi-Powers, great pistols, have to add my C-75, then a sneaker, the Tri-Star C100 CZ 75 clone. Still my clones and Colt 1911's in .45 just "make my day"....
    NRA LIFE
    Veteran
    Colt Combat Commander Series 70, Colt Gold Cup Series 70, Rock Island Nickel Tactical, Rock Island Compact, Colt Defender,all .45ACP, Ruger 1911/9mm

Posts liked by others
    two Commanders, one Hi Power...
    cold on ice it's a Deadman's touch...

Posts liked by others
    I sold my Hi-Power but kept my S&W nickel 39 & 59. For carry, I usually will carry my .45 Super Carry Pro, for 9mm I carry my Micro 9 Raptor. I liked the Browning, but didn't shoot it all that much.

Posts liked by others
    I've been an LEO for almost 36 years and have worked patrol, narcotics, SWAT and now investigations. I started my career carrying a Combat Commander in 45 ACP until a wise Sergeant let me shoot his Hi Power on a slow night shift. I was hooked and have shot and carried a Hi Power ever since. In the late 80s our SWAT team commander attended an Israeli taught tactical school. The Israelis, of course, carried Hi Powers and their techniques for deploying them was taught during the course. Sarge came back from the school with a true appreciation for the Hi Power and convinced the department to purchase them for the SWAT team. Although I will always love a 1911, especially in 45 ACP, I gained a greater appreciation for the Hi Power and it remains my favorite handgun, whether I'm working or carrying off duty.
    Likes (1) :
    Mister Coffee (11th October 2018)

Posts liked by others
    @manti.hunter: Good post. Thanks. Over the years, you must have had the chance to consider modifications to the Hi-Power. Did you implement any? For myself, I run my Hi-Powers close to stock.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    I would disable the mag safety, if I was carrying a Hi-Power.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I would disable the mag safety, if I was carrying a Hi-Power.
    I have an Argentinean FM Hi-Power Detective (shorter slide and barrel, sort of a 'Commander" version of the Hi-Power) that would make a wonderful carry pistol except for the magazine safety. I hesitate to disable it because of the issue of if I ever had to use the gun for self defense, a prosecutor or attorney for the miscreant might claim that I "modified" the gun to make it "more deadly." There is a theory among defense attorneys that one should never carry an altered/modified gun. I tend to subscribe to that theory.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    I have an Argentinean FM Hi-Power Detective (shorter slide and barrel, sort of a 'Commander" version of the Hi-Power) that would make a wonderful carry pistol except for the magazine safety. I hesitate to disable it because of the issue of if I ever had to use the gun for self defense, a prosecutor or attorney for the miscreant might claim that I "modified" the gun to make it "more deadly." There is a theory among defense attorneys that one should never carry an altered/modified gun. I tend to subscribe to that theory.
    I own an Israeli import that came to me with the mag safety removed and would not hesitate carrying it concealed. I'm not a lawyer but, think it would be hard to do this while not being able to prove current owner responsible?
    Steve

Posts liked by others
    Mister Coffee, thanks for your kind words. My first Hi Power was a T series that was bone stock, even the sights. Still can't believe I bought it back in the day on a rookie cop's salary. It now resides in a safe. My second Hi Power was a " Department Issue" MkIII that was also original as the sheriff's department didn't allow any modifications. I thought the factory 3 dot sights were just fine, although I know several Hi Power shooters who don't care for the rather large 3 square dots. My current carry Hi Power is a surplus MkII that's been re-blued, has Wolff springs and a Heinie all black Slant Pro rear sight and Heinie tritium dot front sight. Magazine disconnect is still in place. Hawkmoon brings up a good point on not disabling the magazine safety. I'd rather not have to go down that legal rabbit hole if I'm involved in a shooting. Only other change to my MkII is removal of the factory molded plastic grips and I found a set of Butler Creek checkered rubber grips that I've added.
    Likes (1) :
    Mister Coffee (12th October 2018)

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    You have a Commander-size Hi-Power?!?!?!!? Why haven't I ever seen it?!?!?! Huh?!?!?!!??! Why haven't I ever handle it?!?!!?!?!?!?!? Shame on you!!!!
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast