Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Carry guns

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Ive been carrying an older Colt Combat Commander but I need to start carrying my Hi Power. I have a Cylinder and Slide fire control group in it so the magazine safety is removed, I still probably prefer the 1911 platform more.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    I own an Israeli import that came to me with the mag safety removed and would not hesitate carrying it concealed. I'm not a lawyer but, think it would be hard to do this while not being able to prove current owner responsible?
    Steve
    Hard to do what?

If you are ever in court, defending yourself because you had to use a gun to shoot somebody, my view (which is shared by a number of criminal defense attorneys who specialize in this stuff) is that what you DON'T need to do is give the prosecution anything they can potentially use against you. If the prosecution is out to nail your hide to the barn door, they don't have to prove that you are the murderous miscreant who REMOVED A SAFETY DEVICE THAT THE FACTORY INSTALLED ON THIS GUN FOR A REASON. All they have to do is point out that your gun had a magazine safety when it left the factory, and now it doesn't And YOU used that MODIFIED, ALTERED gun to cut down poor young Din Doonuffin in the prime of his life.

Your lawyer, of course, can counter that the gun was like that when you bought it -- but there's no way you can prove that. He can also point out that many popular pistols never had magazine safeties -- like the 1911, for example. All well and good, but you have given the prosecution something that the jury has to think about, and that's a bad thing. The only thing you want the jury to think about is that you are as pure as new fallen snow.

I own the FM Hi-Power. It's a great pistol, 100 percent reliable, easy to shoot, and accurate. I would love to remove the magazine safety so I could use it in IDPA. However, even though I have a 1911 to carry, I regard the Hi-Power as a potential carry gun and, for that reason, I am not willing to take the chance of disabling the magazine safety.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    manti.hunter, where's the pictures, we love pictures here, please?
    Steve

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123