Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Slide stop or slide release? Drop or rack the slide?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    I agree there is no correct answer though some techniques may be firearm dependent. Though I generally use the slide stop to release the slide on a 1911.

For instance, I think the current state of trainers recommending (demanding?) the "overhand power stroke" is a Glock thing. As strong and durable as the Glock is, one of the Glock weakest parts is the small, relatively weak, slide stop. Use it a lot to release the slide and it will break sooner rather than later.

On the other hand, the Beretta 92/M9 has a very prominent and robust slide stop that just begs to be used to release the slide. The Beretta also has a cluttered slide with a safety/decocker lever that could be inadvertently switched to safe by an overhand rack without some care and attention. The SIG P22X series of guns, while having slick slides, also have a very conveniently located slide stop that is so easy to use to drop the slide, it often causes folks to hit it inadvertently keeping the slide from locking back on empty.

The 1911 is kind of a tweener. It has the slick slide so you don't have to worry about fouling a slide mounted safety, and has a large strong slide stop, that is generally out of the way yet still accessible, that works well for dropping the slide. Use whatever works for you, overhand power stroke, slingshot, slide release, etc.

One thing I've thought about over the years in the "1911 extended slide stop", "extended mag release", and "scooped grip panel" threads, is perhaps Browning designed the gun with such things that you don't want to inadvertently engage while shooting, such as the slide stop, and mag release to be out of your reach with a firing grip. The things he wanted you to be able to reach, with a shooting grip, were limited to the things you needed to reach, the trigger and the thumb safety.
    Likes (4) :
    John (7th March 2019), Mickey D (23rd October 2019), MuyModesto (8th March 2019), Rick McC. (2nd January 2020)

Posts liked by others
    As JTQ said some techniques are "firearm dependent", for instance I've always used the "overhand method" with my GLOCKs and my BERETTAs 98FS, and the slingshot with the 1911s.
    It's true that QUOTE Beretta also has a cluttered slide with a safety/decocker lever that could be inadvertently switched to safe by an overhand rack without some care and attention. UNQUOTE but also in this case is only a matter of training and disengaging the safely lever by habit while pointing the gun is also extremely easy. IMHO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YExmUVvOqd8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dkGPJ7Mngo
    Originality can't be restored, so put "originality" at the top of a priority list. If JMB didn't put it on the 1911 you don't need it.
    Last edited by Sergio Natali; 7th March 2019 at 11:47.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by colt45acp View Post
    It's true that QUOTE Beretta also has a cluttered slide with a safety/decocker lever that could be inadvertently switched to safe by an overhand rack without some care and attention. UNQUOTE but also in this case is only a matter of training ...
    Or to use the slide lock lever...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LmjakoWKwU

Just different strokes for different folks.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by colt45acp View Post
    ... I've always used the "overhand method" with my GLOCKs and my BERETTAs 98FS, and the slingshot with the 1911s.
    No right or wrong answer, just wondering why you use the two different techniques and what features of the particular firearms make one easier, or rather preferable, than the other.

If asked to recommend a technique for those three firearms, I'd probably recommend the overhand for the Glock and 1911, and the slingshot for the Beretta so I could trap the safety lever easier. Just what I'd do.
    Likes (1) :
    Sergio Natali (8th March 2019)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    No right or wrong answer, just wondering why you use the two different techniques and what features of the particular firearms make one easier, or rather preferable, than the other.

If asked to recommend a technique for those three firearms, I'd probably recommend the overhand for the Glock and 1911, and the slingshot for the Beretta so I could trap the safety lever easier. Just what I'd do.
    If I’m shooting in an IDPA match, I use my left thumb to activate both the mag release and, after loading a new mag, the slide stop, to release the slide. It’s definitely quicker that way.

Otherwise, I may use the slingshot method.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    I use a two-thumbs forward grip and I have fairly large mitts, so the mag release is a fair bit away from my left hand. In a practical shooting match, my right-hand thumb has all the time in the world to work the button, while the other hand brings up a magazine from my waist. Then I release the slide with my left thumb, just before the thumb settles forward and the gun goes bang again.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    It was intended to release the slide, after last round hold open, should be used as such. Racking the slide is a sign of a novice shooter, perhaps one that has watched WAY too many videos, or "experts". Good entertainment value though.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mmskng View Post
    Racking the slide is a sign of a novice shooter, perhaps one that has watched WAY too many videos, or "experts". Good entertainment value though.
    I have to disagree, in the strongest possible terms. Reasons for using the overhand method (what you refer to as "racking the slide," which it isn't, since the slide is already in the open position) have been well documented over the years. Personally, I've been shooting 1911s since 1967 -- 52 years. I'm an NRA-certified handgun instructor (among other certs). I hold carry permits from six different states and I have been carrying for self defense since 2000. I don't consider myself to be a novice, and I don't think most other people would consider me to be a novice.

As I wrote in my post #1 above:

The question in that discussion has no "correct" answer. Do it whichever way works for you. I will admit that I prefer the overhand method. My reason is that, ultimately, while I hope I never have to use a firearm to defend myself, that's why I own them and that's why I carry them. I know enough about muscle memory to accept the truth of the adage "We fight as we train." I don't want to fumble a slide release under stress, so I train to use the overhand method of racking the slide.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (2) :
    Rick McC. (2nd January 2020), Sergio Natali (1st January 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Racking the slide is a sign of a novice shooter...
    Erm, no it really, REALLY is not.

While I don't normally rack the slide, I'm a one-platform kinda shooter. Those shooting multiple types of pistols generally rack the slide, simply because the slide stop tends to be in different places in different guns.

As Hawk writes, we train as we fight. And we don't know what we might end up fighting with...
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    It was intended to release the slide, after last round hold open, should be used as such. Racking the slide is a sign of a novice shooter, perhaps one that has watched WAY too many videos, or "experts". Good entertainment value though.
    Well that’s beyond ridiculous, for starters; where’d you get your training?
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast