Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
So John M. Browning clearly intended the slide lock lever (as he referred to it) to be used to release the slide. After all, if he hadn't intended it to be used that way he wouldn't have designed it with a protruding, checkered shelf for the thumb to push down on.
The same with Gaston. I won't get in trouble here for saying his name will I? My Glock manual for it says to chamber a round, release the slide with the lever. I am paraphrasing it. And it also says, or pull it back and release it.

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmskng View Post
It was intended to release the slide, after last round hold open, should be used as such. Racking the slide is a sign of a novice shooter, perhaps one that has watched WAY too many videos, or "experts". Good entertainment value though.
It is certainly a seen in Hollywood. Usually something like Total Recall and "It's about time", followed by Michael Ironside racking a round. I'm not so sure about the novice part. I will say first my time in I was in support. So when contracting kicked off after 9-11, and we had to get vetted in Moyock, you remember the company, I'm pretty sure the "Cadre" the instructors were not novice shooters who showed me to powerstroke the slide, referring to the fine motor skill argument, and how those skills are absorbed with adrenaline. My long thumb has no issue. The 1911 is a little longer, and I'm not 6'8 like Hicko45, so when I reach up with my left, I release the slide with that hand. And it is fast for me.