Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Happy Independence Day
to all my American friends.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1911BKOW issues

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by MuyModesto View Post
    Attachment 4034 Today I fed all the dummy rounds through one of my Colts with no problems. The attached photo is from my attempt to feed them through the Auto Ordnance. I had to pry this one free because it was wedged in tight. The photo was useful because it gave my gunsmith a really good look at the problem.
    How does the shape of the ejection port on the Colt compare to the A-O? Comparing yours against the Berryhill pistol, Dave cut the lower corners of the ejection port to a much smaller radius than your guy used, resulting in an effectively larger opening without having to make it either longer or deeper.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Attachment 4034 Today I fed all the dummy rounds through one of my Colts with no problems. The attached photo is from my attempt to feed them through the Auto Ordnance. I had to pry this one free because it was wedged in tight. The photo was useful because it gave my gunsmith a really good look at the problem.
    How does the profile of the ejection port on your Colt compare with the A-O? The ejection port on Dave Berryhill's pistol used a much smaller radius on the lower corners, effectively making the port larger without making it either longer or deeper.

Here's a Colt .38 Super (photo borrowed from our e-zine) -- it looks to me like the profile on the Colt falls sort on in between the Berryhill port and the one your gunsmith did.

Hawkmoon
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 10th November 2018 at 01:52.

Posts liked by others
    My first thought when seeing this is a magazine issue. However, you might compare ball ammo with your dummy rounds. How do your dummy rounds feed without the extractor in place?

Posts liked by others
    Pyrenean's comment leads me to ask -- was that photo taken during feeding, or during extraction/ejection? If during feeding, then by all means consider the magazine. If during extraction/ejection, what's the overall length of the cartridge? Shape/length of the ejection port is a factor, since the original M1911 was not designed to eject loaded rounds and is known to have problems doing so, and ejector tip profile may also be a factor.

I have been rethinking my comment that a longer ejector would only make things worse. I'm not quite ready to retract that statement, but I'm also not as certain that it's correct. After all, Commanders use an extended ejector. That said, the extractor holds the cartridge in position relative to the slide, regardless of what ejector is in the gun. I really think that if that forward lower corner were milled to a smaller radius (more like Dave Berryhill's), the bullet wouldn't hang up as it did in your photo.
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    The dummy rounds all fed 100% in all my 1911s using a variety of magazines from brand new to 35 years old. Ejection was no problem on my Colts, but was with the Auto Ordnance. My gunsmith's thinking about altering the ejection port is in line with yours. The photo of the ejection problem, which I posted yesterday was when ejecting from the Auto Ordnance. Here's a photo of the ejection port on my 1991A1. 1991A1 ejection port to share.jpg

Posts liked by others
    The dummy rounds all fed 100% in all my 1911s using a variety of magazines from brand new to 35 years old. Ejection was no problem on my Colts, but was with the Auto Ordnance. My gunsmith's thinking about altering the ejection port is in line with yours. The photo of the ejection problem, which I posted yesterday was when ejecting from the Auto Ordnance. Here's a photo of the ejection port on my 1991A1. 1991A1 ejection port to share.jpg
    Yupp.

See how the lower, forward portion of the port has been slightly elongated? That's to allow the tip of the bullet in an unfired cartridge to clear the port on ejection. I think that light elongation is what's needed for yours, along with using a slightly smaller radius cutter for the lower front corner of the port.

An additional thought is that your LSWC in that photo looks a tad long to me. Is it a 200-grain? What's the overall length of the cartridge, and can you post a better photo of one of the rounds so we can see how much bullet shoulder is exposed beyond the case rim. Will the A-O eject a standard, FMJ ball ammo round? FWIW, I load Berry's 200-grain plated LSWC to an overall length of 1.215". (And I think even that may be a bit on the longish side for that particular bullet.)
    Hawkmoon
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 10th November 2018 at 13:05.

Posts liked by others
    I load my 200 gr LSWC ammo for an O.A.L of 31.175 mm, which converts to 1.227". That makes my rounds 0.012" longer than yours. To date I have not tried ejecting live ball ammo from the Auto Ordnance. Since those rounds are longer than my handholds it didn't seem an exercise to do before the current repair is completed. I will evaluate my Auto Ordnance based on the points you raised, after it graduates from the gunsmith's shop.

Posts liked by others
    My Tisas did that with the Blazer 185gr match load choked every round however, my pre-Khar Thompson Auto Ordnance would drive tacks with the stuff.
    Not every gun(even from the same company)will like the same ammo.

Posts liked by others
    I load my 200 gr LSWC ammo for an O.A.L of 31.175 mm, which converts to 1.227". That makes my rounds 0.012" longer than yours. To date I have not tried ejecting live ball ammo from the Auto Ordnance. Since those rounds are longer than my handholds it didn't seem an exercise to do before the current repair is completed. I will evaluate my Auto Ordnance based on the points you raised, after it graduates from the gunsmith's shop.
    I thought your round looked a bit long. Somewhere in our "Ammunition and reloading" discussion area, member Niemi24s has a post with some photos showing how to establish the optimum OAL and bullet seating depth for SWC ammo. I think you are not seating the bullets deep enough, but whether or not a few thousands of seating depth would make up for the profile of the ejection post I can't say. Probably the simplest (albeit not the least expensive) solution would be to have your gunsmith re-work the ejection port on the A-O to match the ejection port on the Colt.
    Hawkmoon
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (12th November 2018)

Posts liked by others
    Before: Ejection problem 1 to share.jpg After: 13-Nov-2018 Auto Ordnance action closed to share .jpeg. I tried ejecting my dummy rounds and found no improvement after the additional work done by my gunsmith. Next I cycled Federal 230 Gr FMJs through the action. All fed, and all ejected, although there were some very minor marks on the jacketed bullets, that seem to have been from impact with the slide upon ejection.

Next step: I'm going to knock-apart the dummy rounds, and try again with the O.A.L. of 1.215" as suggested by Hawkmoon. This will mean taking some length off of the dowel wood that is in each case to prevent the slugs from being set deeper into the case after repeated uses. We'll see how that works out.
    Last edited by MuyModesto; 14th November 2018 at 12:38. Reason: Formatting error

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast