Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1911BKOW issues

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    In addition to what can be learned here at 1911.org, I have found that the website " The Sight M1911-A1 " to be very helpful. If you click on the maintenance section, there are two great articles. The first is "1911 Reliability Secrets" by John Marshall and "Breaking in a New 1911 Pistol" by Syd. Also, I have found the shop manual "The Colt .45 Automatic" by Jerry Kuhnhausen to be very helpful. I think Hawkmoon is correct when he stated that your trigger may clean up after a 1,000 rounds or so, My trigger on my AO .45 PKZE was extremely tight until I shot a few hundred rounds thru it.
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (11th September 2018)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by MuyModesto View Post
    The gunsmith also noticed the disconnector was moving during the trigger pull.
    If the disconnector is shifting during the trigger pull, one possible cause might be a sharp unfinished tip on the disconnector leaf on the sear spring.

Many types of roughness on parts will smooth themselves out over time. We call this "breaking in". Some other types worsen over time. Parts need to have some minimum preparation to wear properly.

I would check to see if the tip of the disconnector leaf has a proper chamfer on its tip, and that the disconnector ramp (spring contact surface) is undamaged.

-
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (11th September 2018)

Posts liked by others
    My Auto Ordnance came home from the shop yesterday. I did 20 consecutive trigger pulls again. The spread between the lightest and heaviest dropped from 13.7 ounces to just 3.7 ounces. What a huge difference. The gunsmith also opened up the ejection port, and worked on the barrel throating to help it feed my lead semi-wadcutters.Modified chamber throat small.jpeg

Posts liked by others
    Give us a range report and let us know how it works!
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (13th October 2018)

Posts liked by others
    Here are a couple of photos of the newly expanded ejection port. Ejection Port 1 small.jpgEjection Port 2 small.jpg

Posts liked by others
    Looks like he did a great job! That is a good looking pistol. Like I said earlier, once the bugs are worked out, I think you will come to like this .45 very much!
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (14th October 2018)

Posts liked by others
    Auto Ordnance ejector.jpg

Range Report: Auto Ordnance 1911A1 BKOW, on Nov. 7, 2018

First, what I liked:

1. I like the sight picture. The high profile Colt rear site and the high profile “Maryland” front sight work well together.
    2. I like the function of the safety. It is unusually smooth.
    3. The feel of the pistol in my hands. It doesn’t feel like a “price-point” item. In fact it feels just like my Colts do in my hands.
    4. The trigger. The creep is gone, along with wide variations in trigger pull weight. Both in live fire and dry fire it is a pleasure to work with this trigger.
    5. The accuracy. I had good groupings on both of the bullseyes I used.
    6. Function. I had loaded 64 semi-wadcutter handholds, and 24 semi-wadcutter dummy rounds. The entire day's shooting was a ball l& dummy drill. All 64 of the live rounds fed, fired and ejected. I was using a mix of magazines ranging from brand new to ones from the 1980’s.

Now that there is a list of what I like, I feel less inclined to give up on this pistol.

Now, what I didn’t like:

Contrary to what happens with my Colt pistols, the ball & dummy drill was frustrating and took a lot of time. About 1/4 of the dummy rounds were difficult to eject. Two of them even required use of a tool to pry them free. They were stuck between the extractor and the ejection port. The same dummy rounds worked perfectly in my Colts. An employee at the indoor range suggested an extended ejector would solve this problem. I plan on discussing this with my gunsmith.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by MuyModesto View Post
    Contrary to what happens with my Colt pistols, the ball & dummy drill was frustrating and took a lot of time. About 1/4 of the dummy rounds were difficult to eject. Two of them even required use of a tool to pry them free. They were stuck between the extractor and the ejection port. The same dummy rounds worked perfectly in my Colts. An employee at the indoor range suggested an extended ejector would solve this problem. I plan on discussing this with my gunsmith.
    An extended ejector will make that problem worse, not better. The problem is that your gunsmith did a nice job lowering the ejection port, but he didn't lengthen it.

Compare your photo of the right side of the pistol to this photo (which I lifted from our e-zine) of a Berryhill Custom combat pistol, which is tuned for combat reliability:

Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 9th November 2018 at 18:07. Reason: Fixed quotation tags

Posts liked by others
    Once again I thank you, Hawkmoon. I printed out your post, and will be discussing it with my gunsmith.

Posts liked by others
    Ejection problem 1 to share.jpg Today I fed all the dummy rounds through one of my Colts with no problems. The attached photo is from my attempt to feed them through the Auto Ordnance. I had to pry this one free because it was wedged in tight. The photo was useful because it gave my gunsmith a really good look at the problem.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast