Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 1911BKOW issues

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    I disassembled all the dummy rounds. I shortened the section of dowel that I was using to reduce set-back of the bullet with repeated usage. The new dimension was 10.0mm. With that shorter length I was able to seat the 200 gr LSWC slugs for the O.A.L. of 1.215" as Hawkmoon had suggested previously. Here are the results. All of them fed perfectly and ejected perfectly. I was startled and happy by this turn of events, to say the least.

While working towards the 1.215" O.A.L. I had loaded 3 others that exceeded that amount while trying to figure the exact amount to cut from the dowel. The longest of them was 1.232". I fed them through the Auto Ordnance. They all seated flawlessly and ejected flawlessly.

I do plan to push the window a bit, by seating for an O.A.L. a little beyond 1.232 but well below my previous settings, but that will be a project for some other day. For now I have the numbers for making dummy rounds that I know will feed into the chamber and eject with no problems.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by MuyModesto View Post
    I disassembled all the dummy rounds. I shortened the section of dowel that I was using to reduce set-back of the bullet with repeated usage. The new dimension was 10.0mm. With that shorter length I was able to seat the 200 gr LSWC slugs for the O.A.L. of 1.215" as Hawkmoon had suggested previously. Here are the results. All of them fed perfectly and ejected perfectly. I was startled and happy by this turn of events, to say the least.

While working towards the 1.215" O.A.L. I had loaded 3 others that exceeded that amount while trying to figure the exact amount to cut from the dowel. The longest of them was 1.232". I fed them through the Auto Ordnance. They all seated flawlessly and ejected flawlessly.
    Congratulations and great troubeshooting!

I do plan to push the window a bit, by seating for an O.A.L. a little beyond 1.232 but well below my previous settings, but that will be a project for some other day..
    Nothing like living on the ragged edge

Posts liked by others
    I'm glad my suggestion bore some fruit. Please note that the OAL of 1.215" is what seems to be right for my semi-wadcutter loads, which use the Berry's 200-grain plated SWC bullets. Different bullets of the same general type (i.e. semi-wadcutter) may want to be a little longer -- or maybe a little shorter, but that's probably unlikely. The key is to determine where the straight body of the bullet begins to radius in to form the shoulder, and to seat the bullets so that just a tiny bit of the straight body (our member niemi24s describes it as a thumbnail's width) is exposed above the mouth of the cartridge.

See post #4 in this thread: https://forum.m1911.org/showthread.p...r+depth+length

In post #4, niemi24s provides a photo of four different rounds that use bullets having a shoulder. Some of the shoulders have larger radii than others. Mine look pretty much like the one on the left in his photo, and that was the round I had in mind when I looked at the photo of your jammed round and thought it looked a bit long. Your round seems to have a lot of the bullet body exposed.

Can you post a photo of what your 1.215" round looks like? Try to get a nice profile shot, like the view in niemi24s's photo. Unless you're using the same bullets that I'm using (which you're not, since mine are plated), the "right" length for yours may well be slightly different from the "right" length for mine. But at last you're moving in the right direction.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (17th November 2018)

Last edited by Hawkmoon; 16th November 2018 at 13:05.

Posts liked by others
    IMG_0185.jpgIMG_0186.jpg As can be seen, with the OAL of 1.2145" in this particular cartridge, the slug is seated quite deeply into the casing. Unlike the notion of a thumbnail worth of the ogive being exposed, none was exposed. I wouldn't want to load a live round like that for fear of a pressure problem. But, for a dummy round it gets the job done.

Posts liked by others
    IMG_0185.jpgIMG_0186.jpg As can be seen, with the OAL of 1.2145" in this particular cartridge, the slug is seated quite deeply into the casing. Unlike the notion of a thumbnail worth of the ogive being exposed, none was exposed. I wouldn't want to load a live round like that for fear of a pressure problem. But, for a dummy round it gets the job done.
    That's definitely too deep. What's the length of the case?

What bullet are you using?

Is your bullet included in our list of bullets (link found in the "Ammunition and Reloading" discussion area)?

I would not say that as a dummy round it gets the job done. The purpose of a dummy round is to test the feeding, extraction and ejection of a round without the danger of an accidental/negligent discharge. If the dummy round doesn't physically match the live rounds you're going to be firing, it doesn't serve any purpose at all.
    Hawkmoon
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 19th November 2018 at 19:00.

Posts liked by others
    IMG_0187.jpgIMG_0188.jpg My bullet is included in the discussion of "Collecting Dimensions - Bullet Data". It is in post #67 by BeeMan. My measurements differ only slightly from those in BeeMan's post:
    MFG: S N S
    Name Of Bullet: 200 SWC
    Grains: 200
    Type: LSWC
    Length: .647 (that's .003" under BeeMan's measurement)
    Base Diameter: .4515 (that's .0005 under BeeMan's measurement).

I disassembled the dummy load in my most recent posting. The case measured 0.8955".

Posts liked by others
    Your bullet is quite different from the Berry's #41391 that I use. Our chart shows two listings for the Berry's bullet, with widely differing measurements for the body length, so I just went down to the dungeon and measured one. I came up with a bullet overall length of .602" and a body length of .290".That body length falls right between the two measurements in the chart. That makes the nose length .312". If I use a nominal case length of .898" and add the .312" nose, for my bullets I get an abslote minimum COAL of 1.210". Add a little for that highly-scientific thumbnail thickness, and I'm at 1.215" (or so.

For your bullet, the chart shows a body length of .324" and a nose length of .326". If we add the nose length to the length of a standard .45 ACP case (per SAAMI), we get .898 + .326 = 1.224" as an absolute minimum COAL length for your bullets.

But your case is shorter than the SAAMI nominal case length. Using your case we get .8955 + .326 = 1.2215" as the absolute minimum COAL. Add in something to allow for that thumbnail, and call it 1.222+ for the length you should be looking for. That's longer than the 1.215" that I use, but still a bit less than the 1.227" you were using.
    Hawkmoon
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (20th November 2018)

Posts liked by others
    I am grateful for all the help with this problem. What I've learned is valuable information indeed. What I've experienced is the transition of a "price-point" firearm with unreliable performance to a pistol that worked 100% at the last range day. That's quite a gain! On top of that it was actually quite pleasant to shoot. Groupings on the targets were just as good as what I get from my Colts. That's a huge contrast from the day when I fired the Auto Ordnance and shot my lowest score of the year. Then a couple of months later used the same pistol to fire one even lower.

Likely I will learn to like, enjoy and value this gun as I do all my others. But, after all we've been through I'll want a good 1,000 rounds through it with excellent functioning before the day will come when I would consider this as something I would reach for to defend myself or my loved ones. We'll see how it all plays out over time. The adventure will continue. . . . .

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234