Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911A1 - CS - Broken Ejector

Posts liked by others
    The guy on the phone indicated that 8 round govt mags in a the CS (Officer) forced the round up against the extractor with more force. Since I've only used factory mags and do not intend to use 8 round govt mags in the CS I just let the comment slide. If figure all of the magazine top side tolerances i.e. from the mag catch notch and up, are pretty much the same across the board for single stacks.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by mauser416 View Post
    The guy on the phone indicated that 8 round govt mags in a the CS (Officer) forced the round up against the extractor with more force.
    Fiddlesticks. The 7- or 8-round Government magazines are the same from the mag catch up to the top as the 6- or 7- round Officers ("CS") magazines. The extra length is at the bottom end, not the top. The round in the magazine should not be touching the ejector at all -- it it makes contact with the ejector before or during feeding, there's something wrong with the magazine lips. I just looked at my carry pistol (a Colt Officers ACP). It has an extended ejector, and the top round in the magazine has very obvious and visible clearance between the case rim and the extended nose of the ejector.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by mauser416 View Post
    The guy on the phone indicated that 8 round govt mags in a the CS (Officer) forced the round up against the extractor with more force.
    It's the extractor then, that the 8 round mags supposedly damage?

Good quality extractors shouldn't break from any extra force on the top round of any type of magazine.

-

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by megafiddle View Post
    It's the extractor then, that the 8 round mags supposedly damage?

Good quality extractors shouldn't break from any extra force on the top round of any type of magazine.

-
    In one post you wrote "ejector," in another you wrote "extractor." What did the guy at Armscor say?

In either case, the statement makes no sense. It makes even less sense concerning the extractor, because the rounds in the magazine never contact the extractor in a way to could damage it. If you had a pistol with an elongated tip in the ejector (which my Colt Officers ACP does, and your Rock Island CS probably has), if you managed to OVERinseret a magazine (which could be done if you slammed home a Government-size magazine in an Officers-size pistol and managed to push it right past the magazine catch), the rim of the top round would make contact with the ejector tip. It would not make solid contact with the extractor, because the extractor is designed to allow the case rim to slide up into it.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Ejector. My last post did state extractor in error. Yes, the CS does have the extended ejector. Since I only used the factory mag I expect the ejector was just a bad one.

Posts liked by others
    They had told me I would get it back last week. Since I didn't I called and left a message to see what the latest. I understand delays but if you promise a return and miss it,
    at least send a text to let a customer know.

Posts liked by others
    They haven't returned phone calls and have not e-mailed but since FedEx sent me a notice this evening it looks as though the gun is on it's way back. This may be normal but I am not used to this cavalier manner of a manufacturer receiving/sending a pistol. Earlier they did say they would do the warranty work, they agreed to do the sight work and indicated a full tune up would be done. I guess these have all been completed and I will need to wait until I get it back to verify this.

Posts liked by others
    The return of your pistol with no communication or information about shipping is not uncommon in my experience. In the past few weeks (and several times in the past) I sent pistols to two different companies (which I won't name), a new one for warranty work with a company that makes a lot of expensive USPSA hi capacity type pistols and another pistol to a top quality international pistol and rifle company.

With the first pistol I got a phone call when they received it but got no other information about the work. Like your experience, I got a FedEx email telling me that my pistol would arrive back to me the next day. I'm glad I wasn't out of town for a week or two (which sometimes happens). Unfortunately, they didn't correct the problems (plural). I've had the same experience with even "semi-custom" and "custom" pistols that have had problems. "No sir, I don't limp wrist, jerk, flinch, etc, etc--it's your pistol that's the problem. I've been shooting 1911's for over 50 years, I know the issues and problems." So, over the years I've taken a couple of basic 1911 do it yourself improvement courses and I can correct the problems, usually. But, for what this gun cost it should make my coffee every morning.

I sent the second pistol in to the original manufacturer to have a 40 cal barrel fitted to a 357 Sig 1911--excellent gun, I just wanted a 40 cal barrel which they wouldn't sell directly to me but would "fit" for about the same price as an aftermarket barrel. Despite making sure by telephone communication and email that they knew I had a different address from what was originally in their records (I moved a year and a half ago), the pistol was sent to my old address. Like with you, the company didn't communicate with me, I discovered this when it was half way to my old address in a 2 day FedEx shipping process. I called the company which assured me they would stop the shipment at the halfway point, about 700 miles from my old address. Surprise, the next morning it was in the final sorting/delivery facility just 3 miles from my old address. I again called the company about the problem. Fortunately, it got rerouted back at basically the last minute. In this day and age of gun hysteria, all that I/we need is the delivery of a pistol or rifle to the wrong address, because your local and national TV station would love to have this appear as a main story on their evening news--"loose gun laws allow pistol to be sent to wrong address and home with little children, etc, etc who could be shot/killed/injured/maimed, etc." I'm still waiting for this pistol a week later, having received no information about it since I was able to stop the delivery.

Good luck, is all that I can say.

Posts liked by others
    Received the gun today. The correct sights were installed and the extractor was replaced.

Posts liked by others
    sights work just fine
    1911 CS1.jpg
    Likes (1) :
    Pyrenean (29th September 2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast