Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: questions about OD Green Para Ordnance pistols

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    As an advocate for the Commander size 1911s, I think the P13.45 is about an ideal size for a Para. I'll be on the lookout for the range report.

If you have a Windows computer running Windows 7 or newer, the built-in version of Microsoft Paint allows resizing of photos.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others

Finally, pictures and comments

The black P13 is a plain jane model that I bought new in 1995, IIRC. The only modifications are a Dlask trigger, genuine Novak sights, and replacement of the ambi safety with a standard safety. I also think that I replaced and tuned the extractor, but that was a long time ago. As I mentioned in a previous post, it is 99.9% reliable (as good as it gets). And I have kept this in my truck for years, just in case . . . . .
    The OD green P13 is the one that I picked up this week. From what I can find on the internet, it is unaltered and was made in 2004. I believe that the Novak style sights, possibly/probably made by LPA, are original (and completely dim). The internals are MIM, kind of rough and in need of a little polishing and fine tuning. It has a full length guide rod, which I’m not a fan of (makes it hard to disassemble in the field if that process is needed). It has the Para Ordnance PXT extractor which looked to be in good shape after cleaning and lubrication. The trigger pull is 5.5# and surprisingly free of much take up—reasonably crisp. The mainspring housing is plastic, but so is the one on my 1995 P13. The pistol has a little holster wear at the front left of the slide. Otherwise, it shows little signs of use (I believe for reasons that I will mention later).
    I used a mix of S&B 230 gr FMJ and Remington 230 gr FMJ. This ammo functioned flawlessly with five 13 round Para Ordnance mags in my old P13.
    The new pistol had a Para Ordnance 13 round mag and a MecGar mag. With both of these mags I routinely had hang-up on the feed ramp or stove piping of the next to last or last round. I think MecGar mags are great in my Hi Powers, but I was not impressed with this one for the P13. I didn’t have a micrometer with me, but I thought the lips on the PA mag were just a little wide, allowing the nose of the bullet to approach the barrel at too high an angle. So I set these mags aside and used my old, good mags that are reliable. The feeding problems persisted but were not as bad (these older mags have Wolff extra power springs). As I continued shooting I examined the hooks of the PXT extractor and it appears that the hook is wide enough or so large as to interfere with the case rim or not fit into the extractor groove (I hope this makes sense to the reader).
    Lastly, at 50 measured feet it shoots 4 inches low.
    So, my plan for making this P13 reliable is to:
    1. work on the hook of the PXT extractor or get a replacement from EGW and tune it for reliability.
    2. smooth the rough contact areas of the MIM ignition parts (or maybe replace them with barstock parts).
    3. get new Wolff mag springs for the 2 mags that came with the new P13 and see if this helps with reliability.
    4. sometime replace the FLGR with a standard GI set up.
    5. replace the front sight with a shorter one that has new tritium in it. I don’t know what the front and rear sight cuts are but I believe that Para was using LPA sights for a while. The rear looks very, very similar to a Novak cut. Can anyone help with this issue?
    6. sometime I might replace the MSH with a steel one made by Smith and Alexander.

As I mentioned in #5, does anyone have reliable information on what the front and rear sight cuts are? My rear sight is 0.365 wide. The front sight is a wacky one—the right edge of the sight cut measures .210, but the width of the base of the front sight is very narrow and is only 0.180 wide. I’ve never seen anything like it!!! I’ve been on the LPA website and can’t find cut dimensions and they don’t list Para Ordnance replacements. Plus it seems like all LPA rear sights are now adjustable. I’ve been to several websites such as Brownells, Meprolight, Kensight, and Dawson Precision which have P-A sights but don’t state the cuts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Posts liked by others
    Hawkmoon,
    As I mentioned earlier today, the box states that it is a PX1345S with Spec Ops finish. There is not "X" in the serial number of the pistol. Do you know what the finish is? I don't think it IonBond. I think it is some kind of spray and bake.

Posts liked by others
    When I visited the factory (whenever that was, around 2005 or 2006 if I remember correctly) Para was using a spray-on polymeric finish they called Paracoat (or Parakote, I don't recall how they spelled it, either). Considerable research led me to conclude that this was, in fact, Lauer Weaponry's Duracoat, but neither Para-Ordnance nor Lauer Weaponry would confirm that for the record. So, I can't tell you it's Duracoat, but I can tell you that if you call Lauer Weaponry and ask them what color to choose to match the deep blue that Para was using around that time -- they'll tell you. And if you call them and tell them what color you have, I'll bet they can tell you which one of their colors will match it.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I have an LDA Para Tac 5 (or Tac S still haven't decided) great pistol. Commander length barrel/slide full 7/8 mag capacity. It is olive drab green frame and slide. Easily scratched and blemished. Shoots great, killed a couple of Colorado rattle snakes so far. Don't carry it much anymore as I have a couple Officer sized .45s.

Posts liked by others
    I appreciate your comments about it being easily scratched. I have concerns about that with the limited amount of handling and shooting that I've done so far. I took it out again after doing a Poor Man's Trigger Job (https://www.m1911.org//technic20.htm) and working on the PXT extractor. It feeds better now than the first time, but I think the extractor hook is still too wide, so more work is needed or else I'll get one from EGW and tune it up.
    Rob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12