Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Seeking info on TZ 7790314 slides

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Seeking info on TZ 7790314 slides

Hello,

I hope this is in the correct section.

Looking for information regarding the IMI isreali TZ 7790314 marked hardslide found on some USGI 1911s.

-When were they made? I am having trouble finding any info on them. I can find dates for say the numax electronics usgi slides, but next to nothing on the isreali ones.

-I’m curious when the production runs for them were, and how often they were used. We’re these ‘70s production during or after Vietnam? 80’s? 90’s?

-Did IMI make any other 1911 parts for our military?

I’ve got one of them as well and the machining seems pretty good. It’s definitely nicer than any of my other usgi slides.

Thanks
    Last edited by iLikeEbay; 15th August 2018 at 14:25.

Posts liked by others
    TZ marked 1911 barrels exist. At least some post VN barrels have dates in the nomenclature on the top of the chamber. I don't know the particular dates of mfg for the slides. Someone with access to Haystack or similar could possibly find out.

Posts liked by others
    Perfect timing on this subject. I just spent a couple of hours analyzing "mystery slide" I had gotten off a bargain table,
    and then found this discussion developing. A few comments:
    I thought the "7790314" on the left side of the slide was a serial number - many thanx for informing me it wasn't.

After very careful cleaning and evaluation, I found the slide I was studying was very solidly made and impressive. Can't wait to find a home for it to try.
    Mine had a barrel marked on the hood "".45 ACP" over "779193" over 90. I'm surmising from what I learned the "90" was probably the year of manufacture. The parts showed some very even wear, and a replacement firing pin, spring, firing pin stop, which I'd guess is a well installed Wilson.

The barrel is another story: It appeared to be parkerized like the rest, but a little light brass brush cleaning showed it was originally blued. The kicker, though, is that is absolute looks like it was made with a chrome liner, and a very nice, even and professional contouring and polishing. Both end of the barrel look like there is an inner chrome, or heavily chrome plated lining.

Hopefully, someone will help enlighten me about this, as I've never seen one like this.

Looking forward to following this thread

Ed

Posts liked by others
    Late barrels feature chrome lining, usually easy to see at the muzzle end. Also a dull, dark phosphate finish. The marks on the sides of the barrel lug usually M for magnaflux inspection and P for proof firing. Also some letters or five digit number signifying the maker.

Posts liked by others

Thumbs up Chrome lined 1911 TZ Barrels

Many thanx for the rapid, succinct and very helpful information. Hope I can return the favor, sometime!

Ed

Posts liked by others
    7791193 is not a serial number but the Government contract order number related to post WWII barrels, while the TZ mark indicates Israeli made, IMI, under USG contract
    Originality can't be restored, so put "originality" at the top of a priority list. If JMB didn't put it on the 1911 you don't need it.
    Last edited by Sergio Natali; 15th June 2019 at 12:14.

Posts liked by others
    Many thanx. Is the # on the slide (7790314) also a government contract number?

Ed

Posts liked by others
    7790314 is the part number assigned to the slide. This is called out on the Ordnance Department blueprints for the slide as the part number, in the title block at the lower right hand corner of the drawings. By itself, the part number doesn't indicate the contract or the maker.

Slide_Blueprint.jpg
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Normally a name or cage code indicates the slide maker.