Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Happy Easter
To all those who celebrate it this weekend.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Check-Mate Industries Introduction

Posts liked by others
    JTO said: I suspect some of these questions are getting beyond the "Welcome the forum, CheckMate Industries" topic of this thread and may be beneficial in their own separate thread.

You are so right this post is to welcome Brandon & ask questions about CMI magazines. With the astronomical number of Magazines we have to choose from, both around the world & domestic Mfgs. we should all be happy we have all the choices.

I got a great number of answers to my questions, so it's time to now go back to talking with Brandon. Sorry if it seemed that I tried to hijack the thread, it will not happen again. I am grateful for all the good info you all provided me about CMI mags & for that I thank you.
    Last edited by Mike A; 18th January 2019 at 17:18.

Posts liked by others
    A much-belated Brandon! And pardon my additional hijacking.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    "Wadcutter" is a feed lip style - explained here at CheckMate FAQ http://www.checkmatemagazines.com/in...d=367#Feed_Lip
    In this linked explanation of the wadcutter feed lips, ball ammo is said to lose the advantage of controlled feed. That's because wadcutter (aka, parallel) feed lips release the case rim earlier - or have a shorter/earlier release point. The basic idea of controlled feed is that (for longer ball ammunition) the round being fed remains under the control of the magazine until its bullet is up into the entrance (and under the control of) of the chamber. The long tapered feed lips of the GI magazine accomplish that because they hold onto (control) the rim of the round being fed longer than the other two lip styles.

But just exactly when a magazines feed lips releases the rim is difficult to tell simply by looking at the magazine. And looks can be very deceiving. I found just using a ruler was was of little use so made a contraption that does a fair job of accurately measuring a magazines release point. A trio from my gun box are shown below along with their measured release points:

http://

Note that the hybrid lip magazine shown has a release point slightly less that the parallel wadcutter lip magazine in the center. So I guess ball ammunition would lose the advantage of controlled feed in this magazine too - the one that I think Colt supplies with their 1911's. Weird, huh?
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]
    Last edited by niemi24s; 19th January 2019 at 17:19.

Posts liked by others
    While none of the magazines have the rim under the extractor when it is released from magazine control, the tapered lips do let the round go when the rim is somewhat nearer the extractor and at a flatter angle due to reduced feed angularity. This makes the window the rim has to dive through to get under the extractor somewhat larger. The hybrid magazine would retain this benefit over the wadcutter magazine despite any earlier release point.

Which I suppose is analogous to shooting a shot from the free throw line rather than beyond it. So proximity and angularity rather than release timing alone is a component of getting the round under the extractor. This can be argued to be more in alignment with controlled feed principles, because the odds in getting the round to go where it is supposed to go up.

Posts liked by others
    Hello everyone! To the recent posts, thanks for the warm welcome. We returned from SHOT Show 2019 last week and I've been swamped with projects but as soon as I have more time I'll read through everything and contribute where I can. If anyone has a pressing question, please give me a call at the office 631-491-1777 or on my cell 631-407-0884 (text my cell if needed). Email is brandon@checkmateindustries.com. I was active on a few different shooting forums years before I started actually working in the industry so I'm glad I have a chance to repay the community. Thanks for again for all the support and please don't hesitate to reach out!
    Likes (1) :
    John (7th February 2019)

Last edited by CMI_Brandon; 4th February 2019 at 14:11.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by CMI_Brandon View Post
    Hello everyone! To the recent posts, thanks for the warm welcome. We returned from SHOT Show 2019 last week and I've been swamped with projects but as soon as I have more time I'll read through everything and contribute where I can. If anyone has a pressing question, please give me a call at the office 631-491-1777 or on my cell 631-407-0884 (text my cell if needed). Email is brandon@checkmateindustries.com. I was active on a few different shooting forums years before I started actually working in the industry so I'm glad I have a chance to repay the community. Thanks for again for all the support and please don't hesitate to reach out!
    Welcome back, my friend!
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick
    http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/
    IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McC. View Post
    Welcome back, my friend!
    Whats up rick... I've got some 10rd shield mags I may need your help with beta testing in the coming months. I'll PM you

Posts liked by others
    I have Shields in 9mm, 40, and 45 so if I can be of any help and score myself a magazine or two I’d be delighted to give it a try. Happen to shoot my own handloaded ammo as well as factory ammo.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by CMI_Brandon View Post
    Whats up rick... I've got some 10rd shield mags I may need your help with beta testing in the coming months. I'll PM you
    OK Brandon; I’ll be standin’ by...

Oh; I’ll use them at the club’s IDPA BUG practices. I’m sure they’ll get noticed by the Shield shooters quickly!
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick
    http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/
    IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 21st February 2019 at 22:10.

Posts liked by others
    I'm game! I have 2 45 acp 1911's and 1 10 mm. I also reload.
    Harrison/Baer - Dan Wesson Valor- 10mm TRP Longslide w/Trijicon RMR

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345