Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Long-term problems with a RIA GI model 1911

Posts liked by others
    Unfortunately, my expertise doesn't extend to that. All I will say is that the "plop" test I use when I'm reloading meant that nearly every round successfully "chambered" when I had the barrel pulled from the pistol. I have had others mention that the barrel of the RIA may need reaming.

Posts liked by others
    I have a Citadel FS, also made by Rock Island. I reviewed my history log. It has nearly 1000 rounds through the original barrel. In the first 500 rounds I had to check to see that the cases were .470" diameter or I had the problem as OP. WWB had more issues, ~10%, but even some HP defense rounds were .473". Anything larger than .472" would stop 1/16" from chambering.

I got the Lee crimp die and ran everything through that die. The last 500 rounds have been trouble free. I suppose the chamber is polished in now.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    Unfortunately, my expertise doesn't extend to that. All I will say is that the "plop" test I use when I'm reloading meant that nearly every round successfully "chambered" when I had the barrel pulled from the pistol. I have had others mention that the barrel of the RIA may need reaming.
    Respectfully, "nearly" every round passing a plunk test is hardly a good result -- as you have found out.

And although some reloaders use a cartridge checker, such as offered by EGW, that isn't conclusive. The EGW checker is machined to minimum SAAMI specs for a .45 Auto chamber. If loaded rounds "plunk" in the chamber checker, that only means they are good for barrels that are in-spec. If a barrel has a tight chamber or insufficient leade/freebore, the EGW checker can't pick that up. This is why the ultimate test is to do the plunk test with the actual barrel you'll be shooting the rounds through. To be considered a successful plunk test, first the round has to drop fully and cleanly into battery -- no dragging toward the end. That's where the name of the test comes from -- if the round drops in cleanly, it settles in with a sound like a distinct "plunk."

But, after that, the rounds also have to fall out cleanly if the barrel is inverted. If a round is fully chambered in a barrel with a short leade, the ogive of the bullet engages the rifling. When this happens, the round won't fall out cleanly when the barrel is inverted. A shorte leade is a problem because the bullet needs a short jump before it engages the rifling in order to accelerate and build up some momentum. If it starts out already engaged, the cartridge pressure will be higher than the round was designed for, and may exceed the allowable maximum.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 11th August 2018 at 20:34.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by cosh View Post
    I have a Citadel FS, also made by Rock Island. I reviewed my history log. It has nearly 1000 rounds through the original barrel. In the first 500 rounds I had to check to see that the cases were .470" diameter or I had the problem as OP. WWB had more issues, ~10%, but even some HP defense rounds were .473". Anything larger than .472" would stop 1/16" from chambering.
    0.473" is within SAAMI specifications for .45 Auto., and at just .048" back from the case mouth that increases to 0.4732". The minimum chamber at the case mouth is 0.474". If ammunition with a case mouth diameter of 0.473" wouldn't chamber, that chamber was out of spec.

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...dR.pdf#page=10
    Scroll forward to page 65.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Thankyou Hawkmoon,

+1 - You confirmed the issue. Maybe the OP has the tight chamber too.
    I didn't have a way to check the chamber. Should have done a chamber cast, that would have been faster - LOL.

I have a Sig P220 and it cycles everything I put in it. I guess it is a generous chamber.

My guess is the RI factory reamer was nearing the end of life. Now at 1000 rounds though the barrel, it rarely stops. :-)

Posts liked by others
    Thank you for the explanations, as well. I guess my "bottom line" is that I have two barrels in which everything works ... and one (the original RIA), even after some 800-900 rounds, that still hangs up. The damning evidence to me is that the stoppages started every time the last two times I went to the range - that the RIA barrel was used.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123