Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Colt Wiley Clapp Commander question

Posts liked by others

Colt Wiley Clapp Commander question

How many versions of the Colt Wiley Clapp Commander were there?

I've seen some with front serrations and some without. Were there any other differences?

Thanks

Posts liked by others
    Some Wiley Clapp Commanders have short stub thumb safety, some have extended, triggers, grip panels, etc.

Posts liked by others
    I bought mine in 2013. I think it was around 2015-2016 that the front cocking serrations (FCS) went away. I think there was also a minor change in the size of the grip screws. Although I have never seen a different thumb safety on a known new one it is something that often gets changed out by owners. It would also not surprise me Colt would install a "normal" thumb safety if they ran out of the one that should be on the pistol.

I think it was 2016 the 9mm and SS models were introduced.

Some friends who have shot mine do not like the checkering on the front of the frame in the grip area (think it is too aggressive) and some do not like the thumb safety.
    NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    I have one of the early runs. The original one was sent back to Colt for jamming issues. The pistol still had the same issue when i got it back. I bought it from Davidsons and they replaced it with a new one.

I changed out the thumb safety on mine. I didn't like the little nub. I would've preferred not to have the front cocking serrations.

Posts liked by others
    I didn't even consider buying one -- because of the front cocking serrations and front strap checkering.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside