Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Still love my Colts, but...

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Still love my Colts, but...

Two weeks ago I was in Hartford on business. This was a very unusual occurrence for me, as I am Canadian and rarely travel through Connecticut. As a proud owner of two 2011 vintage Colts (Anniversary III and blued 70 Series) I had to do a mini pilgrimage to the old factory.

What can I say?... It was heart breaking! The blue dome is still beautiful, but the building is surrounded by rickety chainlink fence and looks like it's on the verge of being boarded up. SO SAD! I then went on line to see if the "modern" facility offers anything to the general public. I couldn't find anything, so I drove to the "new" facility to inquire first hand. I just wanted to buy a hat or a T-shirt, or something to commemorate the visit. Again nothing! The plant looks rundown, but to be fair, looks can be deceiving. I could find no one at the main "reception", so I called security, as advised by a sign. The gruff security guard said there was nothing there for visitors and no one assigned to answer questions. From my rental car I then phoned the toll free customer service number and was given the same response. When I pushed further, the agent said that the local museum might have some Colt stuff on display.

No wonder Colt has so much trouble staying in business! They have the most faithful customers in the industry, begging to spend money and time with them and they are virtually pushing the customers away! I still love my perfectly made Colts, but I'm sadly disappointed in the company.
    Likes (2) :
    MuyModesto (19th December 2018), Ric4509 (4th July 2018)

Posts liked by others
    There is (or was) an extensive display of Colt historical firearms in the museum attached to the State Library, which is in downtown hartford, directly across from the state capital building. It would have been worth a visit, if the display is still there (and I believe it's a permanent display).

That said, I agree with you in all respects. Colt should have something to offer their loyal customers.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (19th December 2018)

Posts liked by others
    This may be a little off topic, but I do enjoy looking at firearms in museums as well. For anyone that is near the northeast portion of Oklahoma, I can suggest two locations worth visiting. The first is the J.M. Davis Arms and Historical Museum in Claremore. Not only Colts of all kinds but many others as well. Also, in Claremore is the Will Rogers museum but I have not visited it. Another fine museum is the Woolaroc located near Bartlesville. I recollect they had plenty of Colts, Winchesters and perhaps some others. It has other items as well and is worth a look.

Posts liked by others
    In your thing is I live a short drive from the ruger factory in Prescott Arizona, in fact drive past it on the way to work daily. Even they do not have a visitors center or small retail outlet for parts or swag. Seems it would be a no brainer to have a small retail area with stuff for sale
    Likes (1) :
    Yuk (6th July 2018)

Posts liked by others
    Sadly these days it is a security thing much of the time. If you go to the SHOT show or the NRA meetings you might hook up with somebody who will give your their bizz card and if you arrange it in advance you might get a tour of the factory. Showing up at the gate of any manufacturing plant in a rental car and asking for a tour will probably fail unless they are making an alcoholic beverage of some sort and even then they usually just have a tasting room and you won't get into the main production area.

I have been up to Prescott a number of times and the answer was always no to a tour. A few years ago I meant a manager there at a gun meeting and talked to him and got his card. He said to call him with a few days notice and he would see what he could do, but have not been back up to Prescott since then.
    NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by dakota1911 View Post
    ... if you arrange it in advance you might get a tour of the factory. Showing up at the gate of any manufacturing plant in a rental car and asking for a tour will probably fail unless they are making an alcoholic beverage of some sort and even then they usually just have a tasting room and you won't get into the main production area.
    Understood... but I think you misread my post, I didn't do as you described. At no point did I ask for a tour, I was primarily looking for a hat or t-shirt... to buy.
    Everyone I spoke to clearly understood what my objective was.

Posts liked by others
    I understood your post. As an example, several years ago I found myself in a town named Old Saybrook, Connecticut. It happens that Old Saybrook is the headquarters of Traditions Firearms, the black powder rifle kit company. I managed to find them (in a nondescript, warehouse type building at the end of a short, dead-end street). Once I found the place, I discovered that they have a fairly extensive showroom right behind the office. I didn't go in with the intention of buying anything, but I walked out with a couple of things that I likely would never have otherwise purchased.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    Yuk (6th July 2018)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    I understood your post. As an example, several years ago I found myself in a town named Old Saybrook, Connecticut. It happens that Old Saybrook is the headquarters of Traditions Firearms, the black powder rifle kit company. I managed to find them (in a nondescript, warehouse type building at the end of a short, dead-end street). Once I found the place, I discovered that they have a fairly extensive showroom right behind the office. I didn't go in with the intention of buying anything, but I walked out with a couple of things that I likely would never have otherwise purchased.
    Funny, I did the same kind of thing when I was in Halifax a few years ago. I managed to find the nondescript head office of Tangent-Theta scopes. It was a fabulous discovery, as I spent about an hour talking to the owner of the company. I didn't buy a hat because they didn't have any. I didn't buy a scope either, as I didn't have $5000.00 burning a hole in my pocket.
    Last edited by Yuk; 6th July 2018 at 11:00.

Posts liked by others
    A reminder that our rules do not allow political comments or derogatory comments about public figures. Posts have been removed. Please conduct yourselves accordingly.
    For the M1911.ORG Team,
    The Rule Keeper

Posts liked by others
    I'm a huge Colt fan. Spent my 55 years living in Connecticut and my first handguns were Colts.
    Now most of the guns in my collection are Colts.

With that said, Colt has recently fell on some bad times again.
    Layoffs, revamping their line and not for the better.

Most recently , on the other Forum they are reporting crooked roll stamps on slides and a double stamp of the Colt horse one on top of another towards the rear of the slide.

So it seems quaility control went out the window.

It's a dam shame that a company with such a rich heritage is going down this road.
    Likes (2) :
    Vintage Racer (8th July 2018), Yuk (7th July 2018)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast