Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: New Kimber Compact CDP II .45acp

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

New Kimber Compact CDP II .45acp

With all the hoopla in the media lately, stirred up by David Hogg and the anti-gunners, I decided it was time to fight back, so I bought a new 1911.

I have a fill size Springfield stainless Loaded .45ap, a 9mm SA EMP, and a Kimber Ultra CDP II (Ultra in Kimber speak has a 3" barrel), it's virtually identical to the EMP, except for that big .45 hole in the front. To expand my 1911 collection, I decided on a 4" barrel Kimber Compact CDP II, Commander slide, officer frame, aluminum frame. My local range/gun shop had a Kimber Pro in stock (full size grip - but I like the shorter grip of the Ultra), so I had the order a Compact.

About a week later it arrived, I went in and completed the paperwork to start the 10 day wait (California requirement). I wanted to shoot it of course, but couldn't take it home, strip it and lube it. But the gun was slathered in oil, the range folks felt it would be ok to shoot. That's what I did after wiping it down with a terry cloth towel I keep in my range bag.

100 factory rounds later, I was convinced I had a winner. It shoots exactly where I aim as long as I do my part.

10 anxious days later I returned to shoot it some more and bring it home. I had bought an Ultra1911 tool for this gun that eliminates the crazy wire tool Kimber ships for takedown. This Ultra tool just slips onto the end of the guide rod and holds the slide exactly lined up with the take-down notch. That's not so critical during takedown, which can be done without any tool. But on reassembly, with the notch lined perfectly with the slide stop, there's practically no chance of making an idiot scratch.

I also brought a Bore Snake and gun oil to the range. After a quick cleaning and oiling I was ready for another 100 rounds this time factory, factory reloads (remanufactured ammo) and Hornady Critical Defense. It ate the all without a hitch.
    Cheers,
    Peter

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts liked by others
    Congrats on a nice pistol. I also have an Ultra CDP II which has been trouble free for 10 years. Most of my 1911s are full size 45 acp. It seems I shoot Commander size pistols as well as the 5 inch models. My next pistol will likely be the Kimber Compact or a DW in Commander size.

Posts liked by others
    Congratulations on a fine gun. Too bad you are stuck in the peoples republic of California. Here we take them home the same day. Pictures would be nice, but I understand if you can't put pictures on a site like this, especially where you live.

Wade

Posts liked by others
    Thank you! Here it is, exactly as it came out of the box. Conditions are very bleak for gun owners here in California, but I'm a 3rd generator native, and I won't let them beat me down. We have to work within the hated Roster of "safe" firearms.

KimberCompactCDP II copy.jpg
    Cheers,
    Peter

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Likes (2) :
    ca survivor (14th July 2018), hfgobx (29th May 2019)

Posts liked by others
    Congrats, great looking Kimber.
    Likes (1) :
    Peters (9th September 2018)

Posts liked by others
    I know this is old but....

This is one instance where Cali has it better than the rest of us. The Compact is no longer cataloged if you live outside Cali. Of course if you want 9mm you are out of luck.