Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: transporting 10# powder..safety

Posts liked by others

transporting 10# powder..safety

I am about to transport 10 one pound containers of powder on a 1600 road trip. What are the safety issues I should be aware other like the obvious...like accident or the like.

Thx Joe

Posts liked by others
    Smokeless powder, or black powder?

This is an important distinction, because while black powder is an explosive (it blows up), modern smokeless powder is classified as a "propellant." It doesn't explode, it burns (rapidly). UPS and FedEx deliver large cases of smokeless powder all over the country, every day. If the containers are sealed (or tightly closed), my guess would be that you should just try to avoid extreme heat, and keep the powder away from sources of ignition.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Small quantities of smokeless powder in the factory containers are safe, however, it does burn intensely if ignited.

Posts liked by others
    Thx guys. its smokeless. But I couldnt remember if there was a particular limit in weight before the feds get involved etc

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeRVN69 View Post
    Thx guys. its smokeless. But I couldnt remember if there was a particular limit in weight before the feds get involved etc
    Not at only 10 pounds.
    Some states have laws that do apply at 50 pounds or so to 'no car transport.'

Posts liked by others
    If you do not already have one, get a fire extinguisher for your car. It is a good thing to have in any case.
    The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.