Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Sig 1911 22 Conversion - very loose - should I be concern

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Sig 1911 22 Conversion - very loose - should I be concern

Have a Sig conversion kit .22 LR for my Sig full side stainless steel 1911.

The 22 slide is very loose at the rear.

I contacted Sig customer service and was told "don't worry about it" you will not have a solid fit.

I had the same sloppy slide issue with my Colt 1911 Series 70 repro and Colt took it back and fixed the out of spec issue. Now the slide is tight as a tic and the 1911 runs with no issues (Yes, this was not the conversion kit)

Is an accessory something that I should expect sloppy slides from? Do I assume the slide is so brittle that it can't be adjusted?

Appreciate any input.

Posts liked by others
    Conversion makers need to make their conversions so they fit a range of 1911s. Even if it's a Sig-brand conversion, Sig (or whoever makes it for them) can't just build it to fit Sig 1911s best, if it will make it impossible to fit other pistols.

Obviously the fit of a factory slide on a factory frame (no conversions) is another matter entirely.

How does the .22 conversion shoot?
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat4 View Post
    Is an accessory something that I should expect sloppy slides from? Do I assume the slide is so brittle that it can't be adjusted?
    Yes, you should expect that the fit may be sloppy -- for the reasons Spyros enumerated. SIG doesn't make their .22 conversions, they are rebranded GSG conversions. They are made to fit any 1911, which means they have to be made to fit the widest frame rails on the market. If your gun is narrower, the fit will be a bit loose. I'm sure the staff at SIG don't want to mess with it because they didn't make it -- they just sell it.

In theory it might be possible to put the slide in a vise and squeeze it, but I don't remember if it's made of aluminum or of zamack, so I think it would be risky to try it. How does it shoot? The SIG/GSG conversion is basically a plinker-grade conversion, not target-grade. If you demand bullseye competition accuracy, there are better choices for that.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Thank you for the responses. I didn't realize that Sig didn't make their own 22 conversion kits.

It shoots pretty good.

I had thought about putting this into a vice - but I am not a machinist and didn't want to mess with a working product.

If I am looking for a conversion with bullseye accuracy - what would your recommendations?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat4 View Post
    If I am looking for a conversion with bullseye accuracy - what would your recommendations?
    Look through the discussions in our "Rimfire Corner" discussion area. You'll find lots of information on just about all the 1911 rimfire conversions available.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Don't put it in a vise to try to squeeze it tight. If it is nonferrous it will break. It might break even if it were steel, I have seen it happen.

I have a Nelson conversion on order for accurate shooting. Watch this space.

Posts liked by others
    I'll keep an eye out.

Posts liked by others
    There are companies that make some accuracy improvements to the bushing barrel fit. Tandemkross, CW Accessories come to mind. I have used some of CW Accessories and they work well. I have a Kimber. GSG and Sig conversion units. None even with the accuracy kits approach the accuracy of my Ruger MKI bull barrel but they are pretty good. All depends what level of accuracy you are looking for. I find all 3 conversion units to be pretty good for range work 1 1/2" at 24 feet.