Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Why doesn’t the USA send the military to go house to house to confiscate guns?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries

Why doesn’t the USA send the military to go house to house to confiscate guns?

Well, someone asked the most stupid question I've heard in my life, in Quora.com. The one in the title of this thread. Here is the answer he got:

Answered by Nick Zimmerman
    Nick Zimmerman, studied Madison College (2017)

I've written the answer to this in previous answers, but never as a standalone, so here we go.

#1 the military has an oath to uphold, not any politician, or any president, but the Constitution. This being an unconstitutional order, the force that takes this order will be small, which brings us to point 2.

#2 the military at full force would be hysterically outnumbered. There are about 2 million active members of the armed forces, which would be stacked up against over 75 million registered gun owners. But then, take into account that some households have multiple guns and multiple people who can use them. So I would guess over 150 million targets. From there, I would guess that, (being unflattering here,) maybe half would follow orders to house to house. That's 1 million, which, when confronted by a complete suicide mission would definitely shrink. (I know that some will make a sacrifice for their brothers in arms, but not a suicide mission with literally no chance of success.) Let's be generous again and assume that half remain. Now we have 500000 against the assumed 150 million, plus the 1 million defectors, who will have access to their tanks planes and missiles. Massive insurmountable numbers, plus a complete lack of reliable intelligence, plus a much larger equally trained force with the same gear? That remaining 500000 will crumble.

#3 now the ground attack has failed, and in a similar debate with a family member, who said that we have no chance because of drones and fighter jets, yada yada yada. Here is why the most feasible way is door to door search. You could just blow up the houses of gun owners, use missiles to wipe out entire towns if everyone, or at least a vast majority of the population are gun owners, but the reprecussions from shooting a 12 gauge through your head are better. See, you would have to indiscriminately kill 150 million Americans, and to be honest, probably closer to 250 million. More than the civil war, WWI and WWII combined. You would be socially hated even more than Adolf Hitler, because the course of action leads you to kill anyone with a certain possession. So your left with literally one option if you want to get rid of every last gun by force and not be a social spittoon.

#4 send the entire United States of America straight to with a nuclear suicide. Then you might as well do the 12 gauge to the head, because that will be a lot less painful than radiation poisoning. The fallout from that many nukes going off, plus probably Russia and every other nuclear capable country shooting in retailation (because they don't know about the suicide,) would plunge the world into a nuclear winter, irradiate probably half the world, shift tetonic plates, ect.

Go door to door and demand guns, I dare you. I promise that the only way to get it done is to kill about 2 thirds of the population. Good. Luck.

Edit: I am fully aware of Posse Comitatus. I wrote this from the prospect that somehow the anti-gun position gained enough momentum the override any sort of civil block to it, and skipped right to what would happen if a door to door style raid were to happen. As for the numbers, I was really unflattering, and in think in reality, the largest force against gun owners would probably be private security in the employ of the anti-gun leaders. So maybe enough to fill a small hotel against the entire gun owning population and military. But legally, it would be easier to get Hitler a Nobel Peace prize for humanitarian work. In terms of military strategy? Plugging a shotgun with your d!(k would have a better chance of success.

Here is a link to the discussion: https://www.quora.com/Why-doesn-t-th...onfiscate-guns.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org
    Likes (6) :
    Frgood (26th April 2019), Joni Lynn (29th April 2018), LarryM (22nd July 2020), Mark75H (29th April 2018), SergeantMajor (27th April 2019), Warbirdnut (5th May 2018)

Posts liked by others
    Worth reading all the way thru
    Likes (1) :
    John (2nd May 2018)

Posts liked by others
    I'm with Ya John.
    GOTTA CLEAN EM & KEEP ON SHOOTIN
    Likes (1) :
    John (2nd May 2018)

Posts liked by others
    Well done, thank you
    Shawn Rife

RAEIndustries
    CO SPrings CO

Posts liked by others
    Meanwhile, David Hogg (the "mouth from the south" Parkland student who has become the poster child for the anti-gun movement) was quoted yesterday -- after President Trump's speech at the NRA convention -- as saying that President Trump is afraid of him.

https://steadfastandloyal.com/politi...-afraid-of-me/

a) This kid has developed an extremely inflated view of his own importance.

b) Someone is pulling his strings and scripting him.

c) He is too dumb to understand that, as soon as his usefulness fades, whoever is behind him will discard him like yesterday's bird cage liner.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    John (5th May 2018)

Last edited by Hawkmoon; 5th May 2018 at 20:14. Reason: typo

Posts liked by others
    There are far too many people that think that they can do what they want regardless of the legality and unfortunately, many of them have university degrees and think because they "feel" a certain way about something, it must be a good idea.
    'Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.' ~Thomas Jefferson
    "We are the sheep dogs that protect the sheep and the sheep are afraid of the tools we use to fend off the wolves"..... Dave
    NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    The military is qwell aware of Posse Comitatus and acts in accordance.

It is one of the things that allowed the Governor of Louisiana to thoroughly screw up a Federal hurricane response.

By withholding permission to Federalize her states National Guard the feds could not send in other troops of any color.

No other State guards.
    No 'regular' army.
    Nothing.

It would be a disaster to have two chains of command operating in the same area.
    We can hardly mix Marines and Army without problems.
    B3est to assign them there own areas and hope they can read maps and stay on their lanes.

It is a very difficult problem.
    The Army assigns 'lanes' to units and tries to keep them from colliding with each other in combat.

But of course the first thing that always gets screwed up is coordination.

And the precision of modern weapons is scary when an error in target identification is made.

Identification Friend or Foe (IFF) takes equipment and signals.
    But who wants to walk around on a battlefield with a beacon showing their location?

In comes covert communications.
    And it gets very hard very fast.

Welcome to the world of fast frequency hopping.
    Thousands of hops per second over a very wide bandwidth.
    When done well you cannot even tell there is a signal present.

If you have enough bandwidth to see it it is below the noise floor of your receiver.
    If you narrow down to detect it it is never present long enough to be useful in locating the emitter.

All you see is an occasional burst of signal.
    Cramer-Rao (the replacement for simple thermal noise modelling) is a real SOB.
    It is based on hard physical constants like Heisenberg uncertainty.

If our understanding is correct it cannot be 'broken' by any technique.
    Forward error correction (AKA 'Error Control Coding') can easily break thermal noise limits.
    Reliably and repeatedly.

Add the ability to greatly compress speech signals (let alone reverting to purely computer generated speech) and things get real adventurous.

Many years ago the company I worked for purchased thousands of 'Speak and Spell' toys to get the voice synthesis chips out of them.
    We used them to send extremely low data rate signals over satellite link.
    You could turn a massage into a series of numbers and make it appear in a pilots ears with a VERY small bandwidth commanding a box on the airplane.
    "Four, three, five, seven"

Those guys with three and four stars often have a PhD.
    From a civilian University.
    Many of them get them as Colonels.
    Last edited by brickeyee; 28th September 2018 at 21:23.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    Meanwhile, David Hogg (the "mouth from the south" Parkland student who has become the poster child for the anti-gun movement) was quoted yesterday -- after President Trump's speech at the NRA convention -- as saying that President Trump is afraid of him.

https://steadfastandloyal.com/politi...-afraid-of-me/

a) This kid has developed an extremely inflated view of his own importance.

b) Someone is pulling his strings and scripting him.

c) He is too dumb to understand that, as soon as his usefulness fades, whoever is behind him will discard him like yesterday's bird cage liner.
    Dunning-Kruger sufferer.

The 'over confidence' of ignorance.