Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .38 Super and Lil'Gun

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Since this discussion has been revived, I'll toss out something I overlooked before. L'il Gun is a MUCH slower-burning powder than Winchester 231 and most of the powders we're accustomed to see used for 199 loads.

http://www.frfrogspad.com/burnrate.htm
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Ken, as far as I know, .38 Super is the only round for which Lil'Gun is listed, other than for the .410 Shotgun. Lil'Gun was designed for the .410. As far as burn rate, yes, Lil'Gun is slower than I think all of the typical pistol powders, which is why the pressure is so low, as Hawkmoon pointed out. I am thinking hard about getting a chronograph for balliistic testing.

Thanks for the very meaningful discussion.
    Wade

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post

Capsule summary: Unless everything you are doing is exactly the same as published data, you can't regard the published data as anything more than an approximation.
    Think of published data as a recipe recommendation.
    Subject to adjustment.

Even with a chronograph you are at most getting a measure of the average pressure up the bore after firing.

You need piezo or strain gauge type data to come close to checking peak pressure and pressure time curves.
    And it is very difficult to use these tools on an actual pistol.
    The data comes from test barrels.
    Few if those have anything approaching 1911 barrel profiles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12